The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Installing wordpress as cms, with wordpress mu as profile manager. (7 posts)

1. odp123
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi everyone,

I have had lots of positive experiences with wordpress as a cms.

I have this idea of having a wordpress main site/portal presenting its own unique content. The main site will also have a news section showing recent posts and updates from the main site but also from the various profiles/blogs.

The blogs will work as profiles containing each artists portfolio, presented on the main site.

What i would like to know is, do i have to install a regular version of wordpress in the root, and then have a sub-domain with the wordpress mu installation?

Or is there a way to expand the wordpress mu frontpage to become a full working wordpress blog.

(because i see i can change the page.php to change the presentation. So what if i want the full packet?)

My directories should end up looking like this:

http://main-site.com/ a full featured wordpress installation

http://main-site.com/profiles/
    wordpress mu presentation/page.php with links to the blogs/profiles, similar to a category archive.

http://main-site.com/profiles/artist-name
    individual blog/profile

Thanks,

Johan

2. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

The main WPMU site can be a full working blog just like any of the subsites. What a lot of people do is create a special theme just for the main blog to show aggregated content from your sub-blogs. But, you don't have to. You can treat the main blog just like any other blog. There's really no reason why you'd need a top level WP site with WPMU.

If you want to do multiple blogs in a profile directory, you could use one of the multi site plugins to do a top level wpmu install and then treat the profiles sub-blog as another "top level" site.

3. odp123
    Posted 14 years ago #

Ok, so how do i use the main blog as a regular wordpress blog?
    I can see that there is a blog created from start, but pages and such is not displayed on the frontpage. how do i set it up?

Practically i would have to create a new theme (just like normail) with the features i wanted and if i want a global theme for the main-site and the profiles/blogs i will just activate it as the only theme available?

if yes, do i have to take special measurements creating the theme, call's and such?

about the profile dir. can you give me a link to a suitable plugin?

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

'but pages and such is not displayed on the frontpage. how do i set it up?"

Well, what theme is there now?

"if i want a global theme for the main-site and the profiles/blogs i will just activate it as the only theme available?"

Yes.

"if yes, do i have to take special measurements creating the theme, call's and such?"

No, the themes are exactly the same.

If you want to pull sitewide info, there's plenty of plugin options.

5. anildutt
    Posted 14 years ago #

Ok, so how do i use the main blog as a regular wordpress blog?
    I can see that there is a blog created from start, but pages and such is not displayed on the frontpage. how do i set it up?

Practically i would have to create a new theme (just like normail) with the features i wanted and if i want a global theme for the main-site and the profiles/blogs i will just activate it as the only theme available?

if yes, do i have to take special measurements creating the theme, call's and such?

about the profile dir. can you give me a link to a suitable plugin?

6. odp123
    Posted 14 years ago #

'but pages and such is not displayed on the frontpage. how do i set it up?"
    Well, what theme is there now?

I am not using anything yet, it is the standard theme from installation.
    My plan was to make a new one, i was just wondering if it had anything to do with a general condition in mu or not?

So to sum it all up, it is a theme thing, which i should have known.
    For the rest of the question i will go look for a suitable plugin.
    Any suggestions?

7. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

The special features you want on the main page will be plugins tho.

Ideas:
    http://wpmututorials.com/elsewhere/anatomy-of-a-home-page-wordpresscom/

About this Topic