The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

How can I put the latest blog posts on the home page? (49 posts)

1. modifiedcontent
    Posted 17 years ago #

When I put the blog content code from index.php in home.php nothing shows up. Probably because the home page doesn't know from which blogs it's supposed to show posts.

How can I put the latest posts on the system, regardless what blog, on the home page?

2. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Try using the list-all plugin over at wpmudev.org. That's what i use on mine over at daria.be

Hope this helps,
    -drmike

3. modifiedcontent
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks again drmike.

The list-all plugin needs to be installed in the mu-plugins folder. Plugins in that folder don't show up under plugins in my administration area. :-(

Where am I going wrong?

I've found another plugin called wpmufeed that uses RSS to put the latest posts on the homepage. Sounds like a workaround to me. I'd like to use list-all if I can figure out how...

4. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

I alike the layout drmike. Nice and clean. :)

5. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

List-all doesn't show up in the Admin side. Read the readme.txt file to learn how to use the plugin.

6. thaiwordpress
    Posted 17 years ago #

you can Download Plugin
    http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/Fimii-WPMU-Stats
    and use This Code

<?php
    if(function_exists('fimii_wpmu_last_updated'))
    {
    fimii_wpmu_last_updated(10);
    }
    ?>

any where you want :>

7. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Pretty much same thing as the List-all plugin.

8. modifiedcontent
    Posted 17 years ago #

I tried the plugin. It only lists the name or URL (even less usefull...) of the blog, not the actual latest posts.

Or am I missing something?

9. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Were you looking for something like this:
    http://homeschooljournal.net/ Near the bottom...

10. modifiedcontent
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks for the quick reply, andrea_r!

No, that's not what I'm looking for. It's closer, but I'd like to put the latest three or four posts on the system on the homepage (the short versions of course like you see on the homepages of the seperate blogs).

Not just links, posts! I need stuff happening on the home page, content, not just links and logins.

11. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Why not use the WPMU-Feed plugin from wpmudev.org and just pull it as an RSS feed? The post content is in there.

12. modifiedcontent
    Posted 17 years ago #

Using RSS feels like a workaround. It won't include regular blog post info, like author with link to profile, or will it?

But thanks for the suggestion drmike! I'd like to try that plugin. Where is it? I don't see any feed plugin here: http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/plugins.php

Am I the only WPMU user who wants posts on the home page? What do others put on their home pages?

13. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

In the site I listed above, I do plan eventually on getting around to adding a post excerpt to the code I used to display the Last 10 Posts, and then make it a plugin.

14. modifiedcontent
    Posted 17 years ago #

What's the code, andrea_r? I may go for your solution if I can't find what I want...

15. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

actually, I have a version of the list-all plugin that displays the latest post from the latest updated blogs. I'll upload it when I get home tonight.

16. modifiedcontent
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hallelluja! Thanks andrewbillits!

17. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Andrew, is that the one you used soem of my code for? Be interested in it as well (heck, saves me some work...)

18. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

andrea,

I honestly don't remember where the code came from. It's been a while since i've even looked at it but since the List-All and the List-All-Themes plugins still work i'm guessing this one will too.

It's pretty much finished except making it a bit more user friendly so i'll be able to get up tonight for you all.

After I get it up and you download it just let me know if it was your code and i'll give you credit for it :)

19. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm gonna have to look because I just vaguely remember us talking about it is all. :D

20. Lal
    Posted 17 years ago #

waiting waiting and wondering where i can download this wonderful and looked-hard plugin. ;-)

21. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

you'll be able to download it later today :)

22. modifiedcontent
    Posted 17 years ago #

23. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yep, that's the one. :)

24. abietto
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi, I've installed the List-All-Posts plugin and used the line suggested in the readme file. The point is: when I click on the post title or on the (Read more) link, it always reload the same page. Seems like the posts are not actually linked with the originals, but with the homepage in which they are recalled through the plugin. Can you tell me if I did something wrong or if it's a problem of the plugin itself and how to fix it?
    And another thing: do you think it's possibile to show the title of the original blog of every post and the name of the author? Something like

TITLE POST 1 - From Blog 1 by author
    Text text text text text text text text text text text

Thank you =)

25. modifiedcontent
    Posted 17 years ago #

abietto, andrewbillits is working on the problem! :-)

26. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm running into a problem when people have changed the default permalink settings. So it might be a bit longer untill I have a fix. Check tomorrow for a new version. Again, sorry about this guys.

27. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

All updated and uploaded. Click here for the post about the fix.

28. abietto
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thank you very much! I think I used the standard permalink structure. Anyway, I'm going to read your post about the fix right away. =)

29. abietto
    Posted 17 years ago #

Great, it works! Thank you very much. Can you add a link to the page of the post for a normal permalink structure? Maybe you can add more features later for that, but I suppose the majority of the websites using WP or WPMU use the standard structure, don't they?
    Another think that might be cool would be the possibility to have the blog name and the author name in different styles, since now it's all under the "title". (you can check http://abietto.net/testMU/ where I'm testing WPMU and some plugins to see what I mean).

I have another little problem that I'm sure it's nothing, but my php skills are really dumb. As you can see on the site, a title like "abietto's" is echoed like "abietto\'s". I tried putting a "stripslashes" command on the line in many ways, experimenting a bit, but I didn't find a way to take away the "\". How can this be done?

Thanks again, I think this plugin should be incorporated in the next releases of WPMU, since it gives much more sense to many websites and portals, collecting the latest news from all the sub-sites in a single page!

30. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'll add the option to have seperate bits of html wrap the title and other information tomorrow. As for the slash problem, that's an oversight on my behalf. I fix that as well.

I'm digging through the wp/wpmu code to see if there is a function that I can use to toss out an url based on the permalink structure. I'm sure there has to be one, I just haven't stumbled across it yet.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by modifiedcontent
  • Latest reply from andrea_r