The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Planning to move to Multi-site and Multi-domain MU setup (26 posts)

1. mamps
    Posted 14 years ago #

OK, I going to try to do something crazy:
    Move my existing WordPress blogs all using separate code installs to another hosting company (Media Temple, gs) under a single WPMU codebase.

I currently have WPMU running a familylastname.me (example) sub-domain setup on MT just to make sure that I could do it on their gs service. [that way I can have firstname.familylastname.me type service]

Phase 1 would be migrating the following WordPress blogs:
    - domain1.com
    - domain2.com
    - domain3.com
    to my WPMU install (which is familylastname.me) so I can manage everything from codebase.

Question 1: Can this be accomplished with the 'simple multiĀ­-site' plugin and using a domain mapping plugin?

Question 2: would those three sites live at domain1.familylastname.me ?

Question 2a: Just because I can do it this way, should I? Can anyone thing of better/effective options?

Question 3: In the future, would I be able to add another site that would effectively be a sub-folder intall?
    i.e. domain3.com with a separate registered-user only area residing at domain3.com/user ?

2. mercime
    Posted 14 years ago #

1) You don't need a multi-site plugin at the point, just need http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-mu-domain-mapping/ so that domain names previously pointed to your stand-alone WP blogs will all be pointed to familylastname.me and configure the domain names in individual subdomains.

2) and 2s) It all depends. If you want to import XNL of the three sites into one subblog at domain1.familylastname.me that can be done. However, if you want to use domain names of previous stand-alone WP installs, you could set up
    domain1name.familylastname.me - with mapped domain domain1.com
    domain2name.familylastname.me - with mapped domain domain2.com
    domain1name.familylastname.me - with mapped domain domain3.com

3. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yep, for phase one you only need a domain mapping plugin.

The multi-site plugin is only if you want member blogs to sign up under the new domain.

4. mamps
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks, that is what it looked like once i drew it out on a big whiteboard.

That does bring me to phase two:
    I have a project for a preshchool that involve setting up their site to allow for a members section (with buddypress components) as well as potentially a seperate site for each 'class'.

Is this where I would need to add a multi-site plugin?
    Would it be possible to set that up as sub-folder even though I am currently on a sub-domain install?

If so, do I have to configure all of the existing sites under the plugin (i.e. would they stop working)?

5. mamps
    Posted 14 years ago #

mercime,
    I do want to bring everything under the same WPMU codebase. I am a little unsure of how to migrate the existing databases of domain1,2,&3 since it would need a different prefix once I try and put everything into my WPMU install.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

migrating via database:
    http://bavatuesdays.com/importing-a-single-wp-blog-to-a-wpmu-installation/

For the preschool mentioned above, I would right now use a separate MU install. Why? Buddypress. :) It's not multi-site aware at the moment. For true separation of users etc, that's why I'd go for the separate install.

Also, with a multi-site plguin the extra sites make blogs in the same format as the priginal site. IE, if it's a subdomain install, you get subdomains.

7. mercime
    Posted 14 years ago #

What Andrea said. The pre-school site would have to be a separate MU install with BuddyPress involved.

As for the migration from single WP's to WPMU, personally, if it were only ONE WP I would use the database migration .. assuming the plugins used in that WP were compatible in a WPMU install so you get to keep the settings.
    Otherwise, I'd use the easier and cleaner route of exporting the XML's of each stand-alone WP and import each one to respective subdomains (check yes to import attachments). You would have to set up the options per plugin or theme as required (30 minutes each) but less headaches in the long run :-)
    Always back up server files and folders, SQL and XML.

8. mamps
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks andrea_r and mercime, some great resources. I have some reading to do on this fine NFL Sunday.

Regarding Buddypress, I like the idea of creating profiles for each parent(s)(w/ kid(s)) and then allowing groups, for each different class and/or committee. Surprisingly, both parents and teachers seems to be complaining about a lack of communication. :D Henceforth why I am migrating the entire stagnant website to WordPress. It would be nice to slow down the email train.

Besides, I have been looking at Buddypress for quite some time and wouldn't mind trying it out. I thought this would be a great test group that would allow me time to slowly introduce certain features...

9. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

I always try the internal WP export first. Like you said, a little cleaner, less things to go wrong.

If the site is really large and/or has a lot of users, then I go for the db method. Sometimes it can be really huge.

10. mercime
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'd say go for it. As you said, it would be a great test group. Good luck.

11. mamps
    Posted 14 years ago #

Now seems like the perfect time to clean up my and database from plugins long gone from my current WP installs.

Anyone have any tricks/techniques they prefer? Any other areas I should think about for cleaning up my first WordPress installation that's two years old? I've learned quite a bit since then. :)

12. mamps
    Posted 14 years ago #

Two sites are quite new, one site is quite large (two years old, 496 posts). I currently don't push users to subscribe, so that's not a big deal.

13. mamps
    Posted 14 years ago #

When trying the internal WP export/import, are there any tricks that you guys have picked up (seems rather simple)? Would I be looking more for errors in recent post/pages or in older stuff?

14. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

It won't show errors about posts. You'll just time out or get memory errors if it's too big.

If you want to chunk up the export, get this plugin:
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/advanced-export-for-wp-wpmu/

Also, the internal Export function only gets Post, pages and Comments. It does not get widget content or plugin options.

15. mercime
    Posted 14 years ago #

Before you import the XML's to respective subdomains, open them up first and double check for any javascripts added within the XML and delete them.

16. mamps
    Posted 14 years ago #

Ummm, so I imported my first blog via XML, but my theme isn't loading, the site is all white and looks circa HTML 3...

Any ideas?

17. mamps
    Posted 14 years ago #

I think I'll start this as a new topic.

18. mamps
    Posted 14 years ago #

Well, I tried importing the XML file BEFORE I mapped the domain... was this a bad idea?

Every time I click on a post it doesn't matter if the domain is mapped), it goes straight to a 404 page. However, all posts show up fine with photos on the main blog homepage. When I'm in the admin backend, all posts also show up fine if I try to edit them.

any ideas? Am I going to have to do this the hard way?
    http://bavatuesdays.com/importing-a-single-wp-blog-to-a-wpmu-installation/

19. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"Every time I click on a post it doesn't matter if the domain is mapped), it goes straight to a 404 page."

Then it's mod rewrite, not the domain mapping. If mod rewrite is enabled, make sure Apache is actually reading the htaccess file.

AllowOverride FileInfo Options

has to be in the vhost entry for that account.

20. mamps
    Posted 14 years ago #

mod rewrite is enabled. Am I adding a line to the htaccess file?

21. mamps
    Posted 14 years ago #

I am running Media Temple (gs) Grid-Service. I don't have access to the vhost information because of the shared nature of (gs).

22. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Tell support your permalinks don't work in wordpress.

23. ronhosner
    Posted 14 years ago #

Is it right that I can not use the multi-site plugin on old domains where WordPress already installed?

24. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

no, you have to merge all those installs into one MU install. then you can use multi-site.

25. ronhosner
    Posted 14 years ago #

Any guide about merging installs into one?

26. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Uh, the Export button.

Go to the single WP install, under the Tools menu. Click export. There's all your posts,pages and comments.

Go to the MU site. create a new blog. Go visit the admin area under (you gesed it) Tools and choose Import.

Ta da.

About this Topic