The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Getting Error 500 after Upload (6 posts)

1. shamzblueworld
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi there, I am using FTP filezilla to upload the WPMU to my server, after upload I change the permissions and when i visit my site for installation, I get error 500.
    Whats the reason for it and how can i solve it?
    please explain

2. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

500 - apache server error.

Look in your apache error logs.

3. shamzblueworld
    Posted 14 years ago #

i accidently deletede .htaccess could this be because of that? how to solve it?

4. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

restore it from a backup... you do have backups I hope?

5. WPspider
    Posted 14 years ago #

Greetings...

I too am getting a 500 Internal Server Error after upload. The server has other single user Wordpress installations on it with Custom Structure Permalink Settings that work, so I am assuming an absent mod_rewrite is not causing the problem.

I did nothing but upload the files and point to the index file (as directed by the instructions), however I see there is an index-install.php file and a wp-config-sample.php file. Am I supposed to rename the index-install.php to index.php? Am I supposed to rename the wp-config-sample.php to wp-config.php and provide database information, as I usually do with wordpress single user? Are special permissions supposed to be set on any (or all) of these files? None of these things are addressed in the instructions.

Any help/clues/tips would be greatly appreciated.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"Am I supposed to rename the index-install.php to index.php? Am I supposed to rename the wp-config-sample.php to wp-config.php and provide database information, as I usually do with wordpress single user?"

No, and no.

If all you did was simply upload the WPMU files, then visit the site in a browser, then it is your host. There are a handful that do this with MU, where are you hosted at, and are you using an add-on domain?

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by shamzblueworld
  • Latest reply from andrea_r