The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

can't update page (8 posts)

1. greeenkaos
    Posted 14 years ago #

At first I thought this was a character set issue, but after pasting into plain text and manually changing all strange characters, I've piece-by-piece added a Word document to a WPMU page. BUT, there is one last paragraph that will not be added no matter what I do. At this point I'll go to edit the page, try to add only a space or one character, and I get an error page when i click 'update page'.

This is what's happening...rather than refreshing the edit screen with the new page content, I'm taken to ../wp-admin/page.php. I've tried pasting in the Word text with the Word tool. I've even manually retyped the entire page... all of which leads me to believe there is something else going on here, but I'm at a loss as to what it might be. Though I've been able to get most of the document into a WPMU page, it's just shutting down on me altogether, as I try to type in the few remaining characters. -->the same thing happens when I hit 'update page': it takes me to an error with wp-admin/page.php

Anyone have this problem before?

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

What if you type in a fresh post? Same issue?

3. greeenkaos
    Posted 14 years ago #

It's happening with fresh pages too. Again, at first it seems like a character encoding issue, but after messing with it for quite a while, that explanation does not cover why I cannot even manually type another character into the text I finally got to 'stick' without getting an error page. At first I thought it might be related to character encoding, so even though I was using the paste-from-Word feature, I went back in and replaced funny looking characters, like single and double quotes. Sometimes this fixed the problem, in that the additional text was saved successfully. But other times, even if I manually type the offending text and take out any questionable symbols, I get an error page. As I mentioned in my first post, it got to the point that I'm unable to finish typing in one sentence to the otherwise completely migrated document.

I'm wondering what the next step might be in troubleshooting this. I'll post back if I find a solution. Any insight or suggestions are welcome and would be much appreciated. Thanks

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Okay, I want to know if you open up a brand new page and manually type in whatever, if you get the same issues.

Pasting in from Word is notoriously terrible. It;s not WP, it;s a combo of Word and your browser. So, I'm trying to help you troubleshoot of anything else is interfering.

And are you running any plugins? Especially ones that work on the write page?

5. greeenkaos
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks for your help. I realize that pasting from Word is horrible. It doesn't matter if I first put them through a plain text editor, and it doesn't seem to make any difference if I start with a new page, though it's unclear what is causing the error page to happen when I hit 'update page'. This seems to happen at some point when I add a link. For example, I paste in plain text, update page. Great, saves perfectly. I go in and format some of the headings, no problem, page saves. I select some text and make a link, *sometimes* there is no problem; the page saves, but then other times I get the error page.

So it seems like a link or code formatting issue of some kind, but no: If I go 'back' and hit 'update page' (before the last apparently offending changes) it lets me update the page just fine. So I try to make the change again, and I get the error page.

About plugins, well I turned off Subscribe2 quickbutton and all other possible culprits, and it seemed to fix things because then I was able to make the links I'd tried unsuccessfully to do the previous round. BUT, the problems started right back up again and I wasn't able to make any further changes -got the error page.

It seems like adding line breaks doesn't cause any problems, but when i try to add links or anything else it stops letting me save the page.

I'm completely mystified. Thanks for trying to help me troubleshoot. Anyone else experience this?

6. greeenkaos
    Posted 14 years ago #

ok, think I figured it out. It still was related to Word pasting stuff, it seems. The quotation marks were not right character set, but the thing that was misleading is that the page would save just fine with the odd quotation mark characters, and only go haywire once certain additional alterations were attempted. Weird, [though I swear I tried running the text through an encoding converter thing] apparently it was still a pasting-from-Word issue. seemingly resolved (will update again if it happens on manually typed pages -seemed to, but now I can't reproduce that error, so there you have it)

Thanks again

7. greeenkaos
    Posted 14 years ago #

in case it helps anyone else-- There are many converter applications available that supposedly convert Word characters to UTF-8, yet none of these converted the quotation marks correctly. Yet, there appears to be additional characters that are not compatible, because after replacing all quotation marks manually, the page still will not save. I finally ended up just typing out the whole Word document.

LATEST UPDATE:

In manually typing the pages I'm stilling running into the issue with getting an error page fro m../wp-admin/page.php. It's not letting me save the page. So, not resolved after all.

Absolutely maddening. Any ideas, anyone?

8. greeenkaos
    Posted 14 years ago #

hmm. definitely happening with fresh, manually typed pages too. same issue: page content is not updating/saving. have not figured it out yet.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by greeenkaos
  • Latest reply from greeenkaos