The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Adding Users to Blog 1 --understanding the different Users (11 posts)

1. greeenkaos
    Posted 14 years ago #

Having a good deal of experience with WP, I thought that diving into WPMU would not be too terribly complicated. For the most part it's been fun and inspiring, but I cannot get my head around this main-versus-blog Users issue. I realize this has been posted about before, but the posts are either not relevant enough or the solutions presented did not work for me.

My WPMU site sign up is set to allow users to create accounts, but not blogs. There is only one listing under Site Admin > Blogs, which lists only the three users who were manually added. All users who registered through the default wp-signup.php are showing up under Authors & Users --they are not showing up as subscribers of the main blog.

Everything I've read says that these users will also become subscribers of blog 1 --I do not have anything filled in under 'dashboard blog'-- yet the solutions (such as topic 13675 have not worked for adding new users to the main blog, or moving existing users to being subscribers of the main blog).

What is the correct procedure here? Seeing as the main blog has the same URL as the WPMU installation, I don't see a way to direct registration to a specific 'main blog' registration form --for what it's worth, the main site and main blog both have the same domain name for the title.

I'd love to hear some suggestions or advice from someone who knows more about this --or if you're feeling especially ambitious and think you can fix up my site please email me and we can discuss payment terms.

Thanks for your time

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Um, the main site and the main blog are the same thing. You already registered people on the main blog.

"All users who registered through the default wp-signup.php are showing up under Authors & Users --they are not showing up as subscribers of the main blog."

Then what are they showing up as, because that menu item is for the main blog.

3. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

Just to clarify a little further, imagine you have:
    http://yourdomain.com

And in siteadmin -> options the dashboard blog is left blank and the role is subscriber. Any user that signs up will show up here:

http://yourdomain.com/wp-admin/users.php

Of course, what I don't understand is if you don't have any sub-blogs, why are you bothering to use MU. Why not just standard WP?

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm betting buddypress. :)

5. greeenkaos
    Posted 14 years ago #

Sorry about the confusing words. I should have said sub-blog. Users are not being assigned subscriber status to the only sub-blog. I'm using WPMU so that in the future I can offer blogs, and yes, because of BuddyPress features.

So I have the main site and a sub-blog by the same name. Users who sign up are added to Users under Site Admin, but not to Users>Authors & Users.

I understand that it's not difficult to make it so new users are added as subscribers to the sub-blog (that others have made this work), but I have not been able to make this work.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"So I have the main site and a sub-blog by the same name."

Unless you manually went and created another blog by the same name (which woudl case all kinds of issues, I'd imagine), when you install you only have one blog. The main blog. Which IS the main site.

In mu, when a suer is added to the site, they are added to the whole system. In WP, the subscriber status does absolutely nothing expect let users comment while logged in. MU already lets people do this, even if they aren't listed as subscribers on the main blog (which, as I stated is the main site).

So.... if you go to Site Admin -> Blogs and you only have one blog, that;s normal.

If all your users are listed under Site Admin -> Users, and not listed under Users, that's normal.

I'm adding extra info to let you know that it's not necessarily needed either.

7. greeenkaos
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks for explaining, andrea_r. I appreciate your taking the time.

Under the Site Admin > Users, only the three users that also appear under Authors & Users > Users have the name of the sub-blog under the 'blogs' column. As I understand things now, this is also normal behavior.

the problem I'm having is that for various plugins to work I need all users to be subscribers of the sub-blog. For example, I'm using Role Scoper to allow access only to Subscribers for some specific pages. If I login as a main site user (Site Admin > Users), I can see the pages that are restricted (which is what I want). If I login as a (Authors & Users > Users)... user, I cannot see the restricted pages, and get only error pages.

I know this is something others have dealt with --making all registered users also subscribers of the first sub-blog-- but though I have tried the proposed solutions several times, I cannot seem to make them work. I think I did the install pretty standard, but now I'm wondering if I screwed something up that would be obvious to someone more experienced with WPMU. Andrea_r, if you or someone else is willing to take a look I'd certainly be willing to compensate you for your time. Feel free to use the email link in my first post. For anyone else reading this, I will do my best to update with results.

8. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Role Scoper probably will not work correctly on MU, unless they specifically state they've made it work with MU.

reason being, as you're finding, the way users are set up is a wee bit different.

9. greeenkaos
    Posted 14 years ago #

I understand that not all plugins work with MU. As I said above, Role Scoper *is* functioning as it should be (or certainly appears to be thus far *fingers crossed*), but only for subscribers of blog 1. So back to the original issue. I cannot figure out how to automatically add new registered users as Subscribers of blog 1.

I've tried variations of the code found on topic 13675

add_action( 'wpmu_new_user', 'ds_new_user_meta', 10, 2);
    function ds_new_user_meta($user_id) {
    			add_user_to_blog('1', $user_id, 'subscriber');
    }

...doing this as a mu-plugin. But it doesn't seem to do anything. I've registered several new users and they are still not being added as subscribers to blog 1.

Not sure what might have changed in 4 months since the last person on that thread had success with the code suggested there. Most likely, I'm doing something wrong but can't figure out what it is.

This is for a paid project, so anyone who is able to tweak things as described above, and is interested in doing so, please contact me via the email address in the first post, or look for the WP Jobs posting titled 'WPMU Expert Needed' (hasn't been posted yet or I'd link directly). I'm willing to pay a very good rate (same goes to anyone who might post the working solution here), so please check out the posting if you've got the expertise and time. I will post any useful results here if they come through other channels.

Thanks

10. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

Have you tried my (free) plugin that was posted last week?

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wpmu-default-user-role/

11. greeenkaos
    Posted 14 years ago #

DeannaS, thanks for posting. I did not see your post until now. Thanks

Another person suggested the Community Blogs plugin.

What I ended up doing is using this user2subscriber plugin. Might need some adjustment for use on other sites, but is working great on my site.

Thanks again for all your advice and helpful information

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by greeenkaos
  • Latest reply from greeenkaos