The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WP 1.5 --> WPMU 1.0 (9 posts)

1. jschinker
    Posted 17 years ago #

I work for a school district and we host blogs for teachers on our web server. When I set this up last year, it looked like wpmu was in early development, so we went with parallel installations of Wordpress 1.5 instead. Currently, I have about 80 blogs set up.

I would like to migrate all of these to a wpmu installation, but I'm not sure what the best approach is. I'm thinking that the most pain-free way would be to match the wordpress and wpmu verions (either upgrade the individual blogs first, or start with an old version of wpmu based on 1.5).

Any suggestions for the best way to approach this? I'm kind of hoping for a magic button somewhere that'll say "grab this wordpress blog and incorporate it into this wmpu installation", but I'm also not afraid to do some real work.

Thanks,

John.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Use an export plugin on each of the 80 blogs, then import them individually into MU?

That's what I'd end up doing. :-/

3. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 17 years ago #

Probably the easiest way to upgrade is by duplicating the blogs on a dev server running WPMU. ie. if there's a blog called "joe" then create a new blog called "joe" on your WPMU server.
    Populate wp_usermeta on the WPMU server with the capabilities and user_level records from the old tables. Update WPMU's single wp_users table with the hashes from the multiple old wp_users tables.

Then shut down apache on your old server, copy the database tables over to the WPMU server, renaming and overwriting the existing WPMU post, comments and other blog's table (ie. leave the global ones like wp_users, wp_blogs, wp_usermeta..)
    You'll have to edit each options table to change the siteurl, home and perhaps fileupload options.
    Test test test and change your dns so it points at the new install of WPMU.

4. jschinker
    Posted 17 years ago #

Right.

I actually do have a dev server running, and moving the user info shouldn't be a problem. I left out a few complications (like there are multiple virtual servers, and the one that's hosting the blogs is also hosting tradiitonal web sites), but those are things I can work through.

I'm assuming I'd probably populate the wp_blogs table by hand, and use the blog_id field in the table prefix for that blog's tables. Do I have to worry about wp_blog_versions, or will it take care of itself as people update their blogs?

I'm mostly concerned about the table structures not matching. For example, the WP 1.5 blogs have wp_link_categories tables while wpmu has wp_n_link2cat tables. Do I need to fix this by hand, or can wpmu figure out that I have an old table structure and fix it?

Thanks for the help.

John.

5. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 17 years ago #

jschinker - instead of populating wp_blogs by hand, create the blogs through wp-signup.php, which will also setup everything. Much easier IMO!
    Don't worry about table structures, they'll be upgraded by WP as soon as you run wp-admin/upgrade.php which should happen automattically.

6. inuva
    Posted 17 years ago #

hi, commenting as test purpose

7. jschinker
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks, everyone, for your help. I created the users and set up the blogs in WPMU, and then migrated the tables from the old system. Once I upgraded the blogs, everything was great.

The one problem that I had was with the siteurl record in wp_options. The url has to have the trailing slash, or the upgrade doesn't work. It was an easy fix, but I thought I should document it here in case someone else runs into the same problem.

Thanks again for your help. Now it's time to start migrating plugins....

8. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Now it's time to start migrating plugins....

Feel free to give us your list over here.

9. fuocorav
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi,

How do you migrated the tables to WPMU? I'm not that comfortable with phpmyadmin, but can do it with a good guide.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by jschinker
  • Latest reply from fuocorav