The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Disable guest registration in WP for the moment! (9 posts)

1. mickemus
    Posted 17 years ago #

Advise by Dr. Dave (Mr SpamKarma) to disable guest registrations on your WP blogs!! Not sure if the issue would affect our wpmu world but I'm guessing it is...

http://unknowngenius.com/blog/archives/2006/07/26/critical-announcement-to-all-wordpress-users/

I'd guess a wise approach is to keep an eye on wordpress.org in the next few days to learn more...!

2. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

I saw it, but there isn't any "Anyone can register" button in the backend of the blogs under an MU setup.

3. mickemus
    Posted 17 years ago #

I guess a potential way would be to "delete" signup.php for the moment...!! Don't forget where you put it though!! ;)

4. AndWat
    Posted 17 years ago #

The problem pointed out by Dr Dave relates to allowing users to register at your WP blog.
    WPMU doesn't allow you to allow users to register at your WPMU blog. The way in to a WPMU site is to sign up for a blog. I think that this is what signup.php does.
    So I don't see the relevance of the "Dastardly Dr Dave Door" problem to WPMU.
    Please let me know if I'm missing something!

5. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I gotta admit that any time I see "OMG! I found this hack! But I'm not going to tell anyone about it because you're all pansies!", I take it with a grain of salt. Sort of like those "Security sites" that republish each other's warnings over and over again but never point out that the issue had been fixed 10 releases ago.

I know when I see them about once a week on the Wp.com forums, it's usually either a hoax or the poster is freaking out over why their picture didn't upload.

Not saying anything about Dave as I don't know him personally nor do I read his site and pleased don't think I'm taking what he says lightly. But, if it's true, and if staff has been made aware of it, why do we have folks trying to push back the 2.0.4 release on wp-hackers currently in light of the "needed" security fix?

6. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Has anyone else had a problem with their dashboard not loading? I'm aksing here because I think it may be related to this. It won't load in MU (even thogh I changed the feeds) and it won't load in two regular WP installs.

7. XIII
    Posted 17 years ago #

Still looking normal to me, both regular and MU installs.

8. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm getting very long load times on my main page at daria.be (Stops right in the middle of the Recently Updated list) and on the main Dashboard Page. (loads the menu along the top)

I'm looking at the cache object thingie for some reason.

9. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Huh. Well, I think my host may be updating something as well, still trying to track down a half-dozen wierd little issues since I upgraded.

EDIT: Oh hey mike, your page loaded fast for me, and it's looking good. Can't hardly tell what you started with. ;)

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by mickemus
  • Latest reply from andrea_r