The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

new blogs (10 posts)

1. kmack1023
    Posted 17 years ago #

Installation seems to go just fine. I give WP all the info it needs (db name, db host, password, email of admin) and it works wonderfully.

However, when someone new wants to open a blog, they get the email to log in, but the new blog space isn't created. They get 404 errors. Also, the "hello world" blog returns a 404.

Any ideas?

2. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Plently actually but without an example nor any information about your install, you don't give us anything to go on.

3. kmack1023
    Posted 17 years ago #

my bad... it's on a SuSE 10.1 workstation that I have full access to...not web host company...WPMU is installed to /srv/www/htdocs/wpmu/ hmmm...not sure what else to tell you...

4. kmack1023
    Posted 17 years ago #

oh, I'm also using the latest nightly build...virtual hosts is off...I'm pretty new to this whole linux/open source thing...forgive my ignorance...

5. kmack1023
    Posted 17 years ago #

any ideas where to start looking for this problem? or exactly what more information you need to start helping me?

6. XIII
    Posted 17 years ago #

In my case it was a problem in my httpd.conf with the serverroot but it's a bit hard for anyone to guess that without knowing how you configured things.

7. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

How about a URL?

8. kmack1023
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've just been using http://(server ip address)/wpmu/

I don't know anything really about DNS and URLs and all that jazz...I was hoping I could just install WPMU to my document root...use directories instead of virtual sites...and be done with it...unfortunately it does not appear to be that easy...

9. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Sounds like you uploaded the zip file and then upzipped it. You may want to reread the readme.txt file again.

Also realize that if you don't understand things like DNS and URLs, WPMU may not be for you. What's going to happen when a client comes to you and asks you a question about something?

10. kmack1023
    Posted 17 years ago #

the work I'm doing is far from mission critical type stuff...I'm hoping to learn some of this as I go along...

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by kmack1023
  • Latest reply from kmack1023