The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Redirect external domain to a WPMU subdomain? (10 posts)

1. Webbimperiet
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi,
    I have some domains that I would like to collect on one single domain. So I've installed WPMU on this central domain and sub-domains for the different external domains.

My main domain is Footballfantalk.com.

For example I have waynerooneyonline.com that I would like to re-direct to waynerooney.footballfantalk.com.

My question is, is it enough with a 301-redirect or will I loose my Google ranking etc then?

Kind regards,
    Daniel

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

3. Webbimperiet
    Posted 14 years ago #

Where should I install that plugin, in my WPMU site (Footballfantalk.com) or on the old WP-site (Waynerooneyonline.com) that I would like to re-direct?

Thanks!

/Daniel

4. tmoorewp
    Posted 14 years ago #

Install it on the new site. You then use DNS to point your old site to the new one (there are instructions with the domain mapping plugin).

5. Webbimperiet
    Posted 14 years ago #

Why is this method better then redirect 301?

Kind regards,
    Daniel

6. tmoorewp
    Posted 14 years ago #

A 301 Redirect is used if you are changing your domain name.

The domain mapping plugin allows you to run multiple domains off of the same WPMU installation. Essentially, you can have x.com and y.com and it will be transparent to your Web site's visitors.

7. Webbimperiet
    Posted 14 years ago #

So in my example:

If someone finds my site in Google and visits waynerooneyonline.com, and I'm using the domain mapping plugin, will he/she then be re-directed to waynerooney.footballfantalk.com?

Thanks for all help!

8. tmoorewp
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yes and no.

With the domain mapping plugin, your root URL is waynerooney.footballfantalk.com. You can map waynerooneyonline.com to waynerooney.footballfantalk.com, but your visitors will only see waynerooneyonline.com in the address bar (they'll see the same content, though).

So, essentially, to maintain your Google ranks and all, you want to use the domain mapping plugin.

9. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

and the domain mapping plugin also takes care of any 301 redirects for you, nice little checkbox and everything.

10. thejoemeister
    Posted 14 years ago #

My domain plugin works well except for the login. When I login, the domain redirects to the subdomain.

My domain is biblestudymission.org. When I login, it redirects to to the subdomain, prophecy.papimedia.com.

I'm using ver .5 of the plugin and WPMU 2.9.1

Any threads that have the fix to this?

JOE

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by Webbimperiet
  • Latest reply from thejoemeister