The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Fatal error: Call to undefined function wp_get_current_user() (1 post)

1. jas956
    Posted 14 years ago #

I've been reading on this forum where people will have a similar problem but I guess I've had enough experience with WPMU to offer some help with this issue.

I have three sites running on one WPMU install using a MP-Multi-Site plugin by D Dean.

Anyway, on two main blogs things are fine, on the last one I received the following fatal error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function wp_get_current_user() in /home/mywebsite/public_html/wp-includes/capabilities.php on line 926

After looking at many forum posts with frustrated WPMU admins asking the same question, I figured that a simple process of elimination would work for troubleshooting. That said:

1. USING YOUR FTP, BACKUP YOUR PLUGINS FROM YOUR '/plugins' DIR. - More than likely, a plugin will cause the error and that should be the first place to diagnose an error.
    2. DELETE ALL THE PLUGINS FROM YOUR PRODUCTION SERVER - Don't worry, if you followed step one, they're backed up and you have nothing to worry about.
    3. REFRESH THE BLOG WITH THE FATAL ERROR - Return to where you encounted the error and try to replicate it, if the blog works then you're good to move to the next step. If another presents itself then congratulations, it's not a plugin and perhaps you may need to look at the theme you're using for the error. However, if all is well, move on to the next step.
    4. UPLOAD PLUGINS ONE BY ONE - I have a bunch of plugins and I like them, but they bog down the server and leave more room for fatal errors and posting such as these. After you have encounted the plugin that recreates the error, simply delete it.
    5. CONTACT THE PLUGIN AUTHOR - This is the best way to maintain a stable environment. For all you know the plugin author was waiting for someone like you to inform them of that one bug that they overlooked.

I hope this helps, please feel free to add any other suggestions that I didn't mention.

In my situation.

I deleted all the plugins (I thought it was BuddyPress, but deleted most plugins anyway) and found that it was another plugin called GigPress that was causing the error.

I'm still going to upload one plugin at a time (I'm still workin on it) because I do not want to upload more only to receive that error again and have to go back and delete directory and upload again if it was another plugin, etc.

Thanks to the forum members whom have suggested this in other posts!

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by jas956