The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Any 4 colum widget ready theme out there? (26 posts)

1. mickemus
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm looking for a 4 column theme to use on my main site with contents pulled from blogs in the community as well as my own content (that I write and that come from other apps on my site). Any suggestions? Widgetized of course!

Any ideas/pointers are of interest! Cheers!

2. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I haven't seen any. themes.wp.net doesn't list any.

3. mickemus
    Posted 17 years ago #

been there done that... :(
    Know of any theme developers that do this for a fee (small one as my day job pays for this ;) - someone who's had experience in buying such help before (i see plenty of sites but a good recommendation would help)!! andrea_r??

4. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

you want a 4 column theme widgetized? :D

5. mickemus
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm hoping there's one out there already!!! ...yes!

6. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

The theme viewer lists some 4-column themes, but they aren't wdigetized
    http://themes.wordpress.net/category/columns/4-columns/

Pick one you like, mickemus, and I'll widgetize it for ya.

7. mickemus
    Posted 17 years ago #

hahaha.. sooo sweet!!! We'll there aren't that many there but I kind of like the simplicity of Identification 4 column boyish style but the girlish style would work too as I'll be customising the colours and header graphics anyway. could this work out to be a 3 widget sidebars theme? I haven't seen such yet so there's a world first!! ;)

8. mickemus
    Posted 17 years ago #

Since you are soo full of kindness Andrea! I'll give you an option! How about giving Binary Blue three columns with two widget columns (or three)? If you don't mind sharing how you do this then maybe I can repay the favour and convert another theme... the more the merrier right!!!

9. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Well.. Binary Blue in in 2 columns is already widgetized. The widgetizing part is way easier than adding columns. Seriously way easier.

For widgetizing, I follow the plugin instructions.
    For adding columns I study how the elements are laid out and if needed add my own divs and float like crazy.

Binary blue is fixed-width and image dependant. So to add a column would make the sidebars and content areas smaller. Might be really hard. Also, do you know if the theme options page of this theme works with MU yet?

Heh. I should read all posts.. I'll be working on Identification Band first.

10. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

11. KauntNull
    Posted 17 years ago #

Andrea, I must correct you at least partly - BB is NOT fixed width! It's only a number of SCHEMES for it that are fixed width - try "Simply Blue" for example, which is totally floating width.
    You are right, though, that it is two column only and that it is not easy to add another one or two columns to it, and I won't do this on my own due to the work that'd be neccessary.

And yes, BB works fine with multiuser Wordpress. I know of several BB installations on WPMU machines.

12. mickemus
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm trying already!!! :)

13. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

I stand corrected KN. :) Agreed - that is one extensive theme.

Lemme know how it works out, mikemus.

14. mickemus
    Posted 17 years ago #

hmm... there's no formatting in this theme... CSS seems to be junked or something.. I just checked the original and it's the same..! It's bonkers!! And the link for the 4 column theme is actually the three column theme... back to square one!!

15. mickemus
    Posted 17 years ago #

...and Thanks Andrea for trying!!! I really appreciate it!
    /Micke

16. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Huh. That's weird. And when they say 4-columns, they include the colum,n with the posts - so 3 sidebars + place for content = 4 column theme.
    You can see what I did here:
    http://sandbox.atypicalhomeschool.net/

17. mickemus
    Posted 17 years ago #

I am very confused now!! I just took your package... whacked it in the themes directory and activated it.... ??? There is really no CSS being loaded... just text and in all one long narrow list on the left hand side!! Need to explore... looks good though!!! :D

18. kahless
    Posted 17 years ago #

Check style.php and if there is a line
    require_once( dirname(__FILE__) . '/../../../../wp-config.php');
    then change it to
    require_once( dirname(__FILE__) . '../../../../wp-config.php');
    We removed the leading /. I did this to water and that fixed things.

19. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

kahless - There isn't a style.php in the indentification-4 I modified. :)

Something is up with the stylesheet. Check for extra line breaks in it (look at it with your File Manager)and double-check permissions. Make sure the style.css is there. (should be)
    Argh, I think my ftp program messes with stuff or something.

20. mickemus
    Posted 17 years ago #

could be me as I face the same issue when i download it from themes.wordpress and the owners site! I'll check it tomorrow! Now need sleep.. almost 5am where I am!!! (that rimes nicely)!!

21. mickemus
    Posted 17 years ago #

Been cracking my head left right and center and now it's 3:19 am :(

I've figured out this much... header.php is not parsed for some reason... i'm using firefox web developer toolbar and managed to see the CSS that comes out on the browser side... Nada!! The stuff I get is:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"> .............
    etc! Same contents as header.php

Other themes work perfectly fine! It obviously calls the header.php but something screws it up upon loading!! Any clues?

22. mickemus
    Posted 17 years ago #

btw.. the first line in index.php is <?php get_header(); ?> so theres nothing prior to it that ain't WP standard!

23. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Coudl be an extra hidden character at the beginning of the file. Try opening up the stylesheet off your hard drive in a decent text editor.

The header code you pasted above looks fine with me - it's the stylesheet that's not loading. (style.css)

24. altoyes
    Posted 17 years ago #

hi andrea
    thankyou for your time.
    hey guess what?! we too are home educatiion family.
    http://organicparents.org/gazettemembers

i have been using 4 col identification band, and tried your zip on your above post

Dude, try this:
    http://www.atypicalhomeschool.net/sandbox/wp-content/themes/identification-band-the-quadruplets-boyish-style-15/identification-band-the-quadruplets-boyish-style-15.zip

I didn't change anything, just widgetized it. 15 minutes, tops.

yet i cannot make it work, i copied your style.css from
    http://sandbox.atypicalhomeschool.net/
    using your zip

still could not make it work

and i just keep getting this error, have tried for over 6 hours now on my own, i do after all need your help ...

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: wp_enqueue_script() in /home/alto/public_html/gazettemembers/wp-content/plugins/widgets/widgets.php on line 203

i would like to give you admin access so that you can make it work.
    would you be willing?

alto

25. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

alto - email me andrea AT atypicalife dot net. I'll see what I can do. (have to take it slow though, had surgery on Friday.)

26. nzde
    Posted 17 years ago #

If you guys are still after a 4 column theme, perhaps you'll like this one: http://www.wpdesigner.com/index.php?preview_theme=Quadruple%20Blue Looks pretty good to me.

Cheers
    Richard

About this Topic