The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

mu sign-up page error (9 posts)

1. nick ellison
    Posted 14 years ago #

when running the index.php installation script, I have filled in the correct information but am receivind the following error...My tech help from hostgator says its a problem with the script, what do i do?

This web page has a redirect loop.

The web page at http://talktorbay.com/wordpress-mu/wp-signup.php?new=talktorbay.com has resulted in too many redirects. Clearing your cookies for this site or allowing third-party cookies may fix the problem. If not, it is possibly a server configuration issue and not a problem with your computer

If anyone can help would be much appreciated. (ive deleted cookies and allowing 3rd party cookies)

Nick

2. mercime
    Posted 14 years ago #

http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WPMU read article and check #3

3. nick ellison
    Posted 14 years ago #

hi mercime. thanks for the link, i see it, but what is it? what do i have to do? im new to this but have got this far (that was hard enough!) and this is the last thing that I need to do to get me up and running!

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

When you installed mu in the /wordpressmu/ folder, did you tell it the domain name was just talktorbay.com ? If so, that's the problem.

Remove the wp-config.php file.
    remove the .htaccess file.
    Run the install again.

If you want the blogs to be username.yourdomain.com and without the folder name, move everything (all files & folders) up a level before you reinstall.

5. nick ellison
    Posted 14 years ago #

got it sorted, managed to get hostgator live support to do it for me! fantastic support at that place, it was way beyond my technical expertise though im affraid...thanks for the advice though guys...

6. B1gft
    Posted 14 years ago #

If you want the blogs to be username.yourdomain.com and without the folder name, move everything (all files & folders) up a level before you reinstall.

Hi Andrea can you tell me what you mean by move everything up one folder?

I have downloaded wpmu into a test site and it does not show as test.mydomain.com it is showing as test.mydomain.com/wordpressmu.

Which I dont want.
    Its only a test site so if I can something different when I upload to my main site, to get it not to show the folder, that would be great, if not can you explane about moving the files up a level.

Thanks

7. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Take all the files & folders that are in the /wordpressmu/ folder and move them.

So instead of that folders, you'll see the WPMU files and folders in the same directory.

(a folder is the "level" I'm talking about)

8. B1gft
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi Andrea_r
    thanks for your help.
    Would you know of a link that would show me how to do this?

For example where do I move them to.

Thanks

9. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

What's the name of the folder that the /wordpressmu/ folder is in?

THAT folder is where you move them to.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by nick ellison
  • Latest reply from andrea_r