The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

migration to wordpress 3.0 (20 posts)

1. weinberr
    Posted 14 years ago #

does anyone know if it will be possible to painlessly migrate an existing wordpress-mu installation to wordpress 3.0 once it is released?

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

You won't be migrating anything, you'll be upgrading as usual.

3. lightcapturer
    Posted 14 years ago #

please check this thread: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/323988

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Uh, no. That's for someone who wanted to go from MU back to a single blog.

When 3.0 comes out, if you are running MU, you just upgrade as usual. You do not have to mess around with anything.

5. member11
    Posted 14 years ago #

How about if you want to convert an existing WP single blog to have MU features? Will this be an easy transition also?

thanks

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Dead easy. It's now a menu option.

http://wpengineer.com/wordpress-3-multisite-settings/

(this screen will change slightly)

7. member11
    Posted 14 years ago #

the stars are aligning...

if i may....
    will domain mapping work with WP 3.0?
    Is the WPMU Tutorials team onto this one? ;)

8. mufasa
    Posted 14 years ago #

So if you have a site in a folder called /mywordpressmu with all your existing WordPress MU files, all you have to do is replace the existing WordPress MU files with the WordPress 3.0 files. That will run an update.

I'm not sure if this will upgrade existing WordPress MU sites with hundreds of MU sites nciely or not just yet but I presume so.

I just hope it plays nice with our HyperDB. Do you guys know about that?

9. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

will domain mapping work with WP 3.0?
    Is the WPMU Tutorials team onto this one? ;)

It DOES work, no reason why it won't. :)

So if you have a site in a folder called /mywordpressmu with all your existing WordPress MU files, all you have to do is replace the existing WordPress MU files with the WordPress 3.0 files. That will run an update.

Or click the upgrade button. that'll work.

I just hope it plays nice with our HyperDB. Do you guys know about that?

Yes. Look at the list of committers on that plugin now. ;)

10. tobyadams
    Posted 14 years ago #

Really exciting!!! I hoped it would be as easy as this and WordPress has delivered :-) Any news on a release date?

11. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

12. Fairyrings
    Posted 13 years ago #

Has anyone tried this yet? I have upgraded a single use Wordpress and made it multi, but have not tried with my MU instillation yet. The upgrade went well and it only takes a bit of cut and paste to make it multi-blog from single blog. With my MU, however, I am worried about the blog directory.

13. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

There's one file that gets moved, but the blog directories are exactly the same.

Yes, people have tried it. :)

http://developersmind.com/2010/05/12/upgrading-wordpress-mu-2-9-2-to-wordpress-3-0-with-multisite/

14. cantgetadamnusername
    Posted 13 years ago #

I was interested in trying MU for the first time, so I set up one of my URLs with a wordpress blog. My webhost didn't have WP 3 available yet, so I had to use Fantastico to install 2.9.2 and then upgrade it to 3.0. Everything I've read seems to indicate that once I've installed WP 3, I should be able to go to "settings" and then find a "network" tab to set up the MU function. But there's no "network" tab under settings on any of the three blogs I've upgraded so far.

Am I missing something or just hopelessly confused? (Both are entirely possible)

15. tdjcbe
    Posted 13 years ago #

I strongly suggest you wipe everything and just manually install 3.0. Fantastico adds in code to support it's platform and you will have problems. (Actually amazed the internal upgrader worked for you on a Fantastico install. Usually it doesn't.)

Give this a read though to make your wp into a multisite install:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network

16. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

The network menu is hiding to make sure you've done the background work necessary before you just turn it on.

17. cantgetadamnusername
    Posted 13 years ago #

Aha. Your comment regarding Fantastico may well explain why I periodically have auto install problems on my plugins (when it happens, it usually gives me an error something about the function code.) That's good to know!

Thank you for your suggestion about Fantastico -- I went ahead and used QuickInstall instead (I've never done a manual install, so that was my last resort), installed 2.9.2, upgraded to 3.0, then followed the instructions on the link you provided, and I *think* I've done everything correctly. At any rate, I've got the MU admin panel up and working, so I've made progress at any rate...

Thanks so much!

18. cantgetadamnusername
    Posted 13 years ago #

Well, spoke too soon. Installed and started activating the plugins on the master site, first the Google XML sitemaps plugin wasn't compatible and then I got a "fatal error" and now I can't bring up the admin panel or the blog.

I'd much rather have my plugins, and be sure future plugins will not wreck the site, that's just too much uncertainty for me, than have a master control panel, so I've deleted the WP install and will go back to installing WP 3.0 on each individual site. I'd much rather do the extra work (and take up any extra space) and be sure everything will work, and continue to work, without all these problems.

But thanks anyhow!

19. samparsons
    Posted 13 years ago #

I just upgraded my WordPress Mu 2.9.2 intallation to WordPress 3.0. Seamless and smooth. I've got one more to do. Will report if I face any difficulty.

Essentially, I copied the new files from WP3.0 into the directory except wp-content. I wanted to make sure that in copying over wp-content I didn't remove other items and plugins that were wp-content or remove blog-data.

When I first logged in, WP3.0 told me that I needed to add a line to wp-config specifying a NONCE_SALT to encrypt the cookies. Straightforward.

The Upgrade Network, worked smoothly.

20. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

I copied the new files from WP3.0 into the directory except wp-content.

there's a new default theme called twentyten, so make sure you go grab that.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by weinberr
  • Latest reply from andrea_r