The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

2.9.1 install error (12 posts)

1. zombiitv
    Posted 14 years ago #

I was creating a new test blog today and during the install process I ran across a bug. I created a database and a user for the database; however, I did not give the user any privileges to the database so when I went to run the install script on 2.9.1 it threw an error...and a bug

Instead of giving me the message that there was an error connecting to the database, I got a "Fatal error, call to undefined function wp_die() in file wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 1147. This function is defined in the functions.php file but for some reason it is not being registered. I ended up doing a print_r($message) to get the error message and then I noticed that I had not connected the user to my database.

Once I gave the user some privileges, it worked fine.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"however, I did not give the user any privileges to the database so when I went to run the install script on 2.9.1 it threw an error...and a bug"

That's not a bug with the install. A db user has to have privileges on the db to DO anything. That's not mu.

3. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

I think their point is that it didn't throw back an appropriate error.

4. zombiitv
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yes, I know that I was in error, but my problem was that wordpress didn't tell me what it was, instead I got a "fatal error" from the wordpress code because wp_die() was undefined

5. alkags
    Posted 14 years ago #

Well, While that may not have been the error I am still getting the error on my elimisha.us

Someone help...

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

has anyone tried the latest? 2.9.1.1?

7. alkags
    Posted 14 years ago #

Its the one i'm trying to install as I get the errors Andrea...

8. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

you're getting the exact same error as the first post?

Did you note it was stated what the issue was?

9. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 14 years ago #

I think wp_die() crept in there during some merges. That used to be die() for this exact reason. :(

10. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

I did another local install this afternoon and never got the error.

@alkags you have an issue connecting to the database. Make sure the db user is not root, the user has ALL permissions on the database and the password is more than 6 characters long.

Delete wp-config.php.
    Delete .htaccess.
    Run the install script again.

11. davidbroderick
    Posted 14 years ago #

I am also experiencing wp_die() problems on a new install and my user does have access to the database. Here is what I get:

Notice: Use of undefined constant WP_DEBUG - assumed 'WP_DEBUG' in /web/sftp/sites/boisestate.edu/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 370

Fatal error: Call to undefined function wp_die() in /web/sftp/sites/boisestate.edu/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 1147
    The install is halted and any navigation away from the page on the same dns brings up the install page again.

I am installing with the released version of WPMU 2.9.1

I originally thought this was a problem with the WP_DEBUG constant because what fixes the problem for me is to change this code in 2.9.1

'if ( WP_DEBUG )
    $this->show_errors();'

back to this from 2.8.6

'if ( defined("WP_DEBUG") and WP_DEBUG == true )
    $this->show_errors();'

David

12. zombiitv
    Posted 14 years ago #

This issue is still present on 2.9.1.1. I think Donncha nailed it, it should be die() vice wp_die().

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by zombiitv
  • Latest reply from zombiitv