The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

When do you nail a spammer (19 posts)

1. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Greets:

Woke up to this. Nail now or wait until they make a post? I know it's WP.com's policy to wait until they see actually links or spammish activity. Mine to but that's just so tempting.

I did remove teh stat tables on that one so they'll never know if you visit the site. :)

-drmike

2. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'd nail it. Actually, what I've been doing lately is suspending it, and then if I don't hear from anybody, nuke it.

3. ColinFilmJournal
    Posted 17 years ago #

Has anyone else been getting those honda/toyota registrations. We get a couple a day at the moment :(

Installed Spam Karma last week but it didn't catch one spammer :(

4. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Spam Karma just catches them in the comments, not the blog registrations.

It might get rather long, but there is a spot to put banned usernames (like toyota, phentermine...)

5. Frequent
    Posted 17 years ago #

I usually give them a little time to post and confirm that its junk.

The majority of obvious spam blogs never even see a post so I just delete those after 30 days.

Freq---

6. blips
    Posted 17 years ago #

Some people from a hostingcompany signed up on my blogs, writing them a friendly email or nasty email did not help either, they have a program in place that signs up and registers their blog. I think they just want the link for link popularity and do not care of any content.
    I have a zero spam tollerance policy and delete those blogs the moment I see them, they ignore the policy so I hit delete.
    see it on http://megaweblog.com

This is also the reason I like to have the invites back.!! I'm so sick of splogs.!!!

7. stutley
    Posted 17 years ago #

@ Colin : Yeah, I get those Honda/Toyota ones as well. Pretty annoying.

As to my spam-blog policy, I usually suspend blogs that I suspect. I've edited the suspension-message, so people will know why it has been suspended (a link to my terms of use) and I have included contact info. If I don't hear anything, I'll delete the blog after a week or so.

8. mickemus
    Posted 17 years ago #

Maybe drDave can take SpamKarma and tweak it into a blog registration plugin for wpmu? I don't think it should be too hard to do that? if it is suspected to be spam then just mark the blog as spam (feature there already)! I guess it could switch of pinging as well in case the blog recieves a post during the time it's in 'containment'!??

9. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

I don't think drDave is updating SK2.
    What could be done is to take the admin bar plugin and have an option there for users to flag blogs as spam or mature content. (like Blogger)

10. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

the key issue I have is the "List All Blogs" plugin still displays splogs even after I've marked them as spam. They have to be deleted to get off the list...which is a little redundant in my opinion.

11. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

Actually the "List-All-Blogs" plugin was coded before there was an option to mark a blog as spam. However, if you'd like to modify the code and send me a copy i'll release a new version and give you credit.

12. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'll work on what I can andrew, thanks for the opportunity to help.

13. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

List All Blogs - Actually I think I submitted that as a ticket a while back. I thought it was resolved.

14. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

drmike,

Are you referring to the wpmu bug that was causing List All Blogs to not work properly? If so, then you're right, the issue should be resolved now.

15. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Agreed, that's why I said I thought it was resolved. :)

16. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Gotta another one. Has this in every single one of their posts:

http://www. zoomersearch.com/images/beacon.gif

[Link broken so not to give credit]

A quick google search doesn't show anything of interest.

Opinions? I'm wondering if they're padding a search count in some way.

17. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

i've noticed that my users are getting spam comments that i thought i blogged in the options of my main blog. does blocking mail.ru on the main site affect the rest of the site? it doesnt seem to.

18. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Shouldn't as that portion of the code is blog specific. (ie it's stored in the options table for each individual blog)

19. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

oh, ok. thanks.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by drmike
  • Latest reply from demonicume