The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WPMU 2.91 Upgrade deletes almost everything (28 posts)

1. thelaw
    Posted 14 years ago #

So I saw the upgrade button to automatically upgrade. I did. Virtually every post is gone. Every comment was wiped out. All categories have been wiped out of each blog. I'm not sure how to explain it and just hope my backups work to restore everything, the posts and the images. Has anyone seen this?

Apparently it made much of everything appear as the front blog. Apparently all the data is still in there but wpmu has screwed up the upgrade so it all thinks it's the same blog. Not good. Hopefully someone knows what went wrong.

2. thelaw
    Posted 14 years ago #

Something is wrong with WPMU - even a restore didn't work. The different blogs are all there but MU isn't reading each blog individually and showing the same blog for all of the blogs I have in there. So the redirects aren't working and every blog believes it's blog number 1. The front pages are also all screwed up on all the blogs. This isn't great, to say the least.

3. thelaw
    Posted 14 years ago #

Restore worked. I don't know if a plugin could cause the problem but restoring everything worked. The upgrade failed miserably and I don't know how any plugin could override the operation of the entire blog.

4. thelaw
    Posted 14 years ago #

OK, I'm done with this. The upgrade from version 2.7.1 just doesn't work. All plugins deactivated. Only the first blog shows and the rest do not work. Going into the admin doesn't provide a redirect. The result is not just being stuck in the admin but 404 pages on virtually every blog, as if there aren't any posts to be found.

5. thelaw
    Posted 14 years ago #

2.81 upgrade is where the problem begins from 2.71. Once you install the new files you cannot see the other blogs other than the first one from both back and front end. All blogs other than the first one result in page not found errors. No plugins are activated so this is definitely a wordpress issue. Can't resolve it.

6. tomaltman
    Posted 14 years ago #

Where is your site located? Have you had any luck restoring yet?

I'll try to help if I can.

7. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Can you give us a link?

Also, make sure you didn't wipe out your .htaccess file. That controls the permalinks and the addresses of subfolder blogs.

8. thelaw
    Posted 14 years ago #

Here's the link:

http://www.boldplan.com/s/tinyurl/rHGzye

Thanks for the help - fortunately I have everything backed up. The above is the link to the main blog, the root and site map are actually other WPMU installs to the same blog. I've tried everything...

- replacing the .htaccess file with stock, just to see if it was that
    - manual upload and attempt to upgrade
    - use of default theme

In all instances, once you upload WPMU beyond 2.71, including 2.8, there is a complete loss of redirection and all blogs except the main one result in 404 page not found errors. On the back end, all you see is the first blog despite the upgrade telling you that it was complete.

Thanks again to all of you. This has consumed so much time and I've exhausted all my know how right now.

9. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

- how far are you upgrading? From 2.7.1 to current? I'd do it in steps.
    - it looks like you hacked it to keep the www.

- it doesn't come with a htaccess file. It comes with a htaccess.dist which is used on install. Upgrades (even manual) should not overwrite the .htaccess file that is there (which is hidden anyway).

Depending on how you did a manual upgrade, the .htaccess could have been removed when moving files & folders around.

in short, the blogs are still there in the db. Access to them is via the .htaccess so it's whatever is happening with that.

10. thelaw
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks for your responses, muchaappreciated.

- I've tried upgrading incrementally downloading archives from the CVS. I downloaded 2.81 which I think is the next version. I realized immediately that something was changed significantly and I lost the redirect even before upgrading the database.

- Yes, I had to hacked WP to retain the www (terribly annoying to be mandatory but many venerable sites and current keep just one version and www is as opposed to intranet.) I'll take a look again to see whether that change has caused problems with the upgrade to 2.81. Perhaps the auto upgrades before avoided the change of that file.

- The .htaccess file is still there. Since it's root I had to add a few things and swapped it out just to make sure that I didn't have anything there that was conflicting with the "new" version of MU. The .htaccess isn't the problem although it might be related - as in the depracation of the www that I've had to put back in which might explain a few things.

Much appreciated and I'll report back later as I'll experiment tonight during downtime.

11. okso
    Posted 14 years ago #

re: .htaccess file. That controls the permalinks and the addresses of subfolder blogs.
    I have lost access to my blogs after doing the 2.9.1.1 upgrade. My ht looks like this:
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    I have my MU set up to put blogs as sub domains eg blog.domain.com, in this case does my ht look OK? I've checked the date on it and it doesn't appear to have changed since last Sept when I did the original install.

12. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

The subdomain blogs aren't completely controlled by htaccess, they're controlled by wildcard subdomain records both in apache and dns records.

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /

So there are only two lines in this file? Because if so, you are missing most of it.

13. okso
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi Andrea, thanks for your help. Sorry, heres my full ht
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /

#uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/$ index.php [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !.*wp-content/plugins.*
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/(.*) wp-content/blogs.php?file=$2 [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^.*/wp-admin$
    RewriteRule ^(.+)$ $1/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule . - [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-.*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

<IfModule mod_security.c>
    <Files async-upload.php>
    SecFilterEngine Off
    SecFilterScanPOST Off
    </Files>
    </IfModule>

As I mentioned as I did the 2.9.1.1 upgrade manually I didn't replace the existing ht file from when it worked previously on version 2.9.1

I've checked my server as follows:
    1)LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so
    appears in my httpd.conf

2) In the directive of my virtual host,
    "AllowOverride None"
    is changed to
    "AllowOverride FileInfo Options"

3) In a section of the config file for my host there I have a line defining
    the hostname to add the following to get virtual hosts to work properly:
    "ServerAlias *.domain.com"

4) I added a wildcard record to my DNS records. "*" hostname
    address record is set to my IP.

5) php compiled with memory limit checks is set to 64MB to avoid PHP out of
    memory errors. "memory_limit" in php.ini

I'm completely stuck on this =(

14. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Everything looks right to me.

15. okso
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yes, me too. I've been very careful with each upgrade from 2.8.4, turning off plugins, doing the upgrade manually, checking everything is good site wide and then re-enabling plugs and then 2.9.1.1! ht access is good as is the server config but no sub domains eg http://fredshively.photofrappe.com working. I can see all the blogs in the main admin. I didn't have any errors whatsoever during the upgrade and when I ran the http://photofrappe.com/wp-admin/wpmu-upgrade-site.php it did it and reloaded the page saying All Good!!! What to do? Any suggestions really appreciated.

16. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Have you asked your webhost why wildcard subdomains aren't working any more?

17. okso
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi Andrea, I got this back from Easyspace (bellow) which makes sense on one level but as I know it was working without doing anything with Plesk previously I'm not convinced...

from Easyspace
    Since you have elected to have Plesk on the server any alterations will need to be made via Plesk as it ties itself in with the operating system of the server. Looking at what you have setup currently I can see no subdomains setup under the domain photofrappe.com. adding the subdomain via the subdomains link when viewing the details for the domain in Plesk should solve the problem that you are having.

From my understanding isn't that what the wildcard '*' is doing in the dns? If it does need setting up as a sub domain in Plesk fair call but I'm curious to know why it worked up until the time I upgraded to 2.9.1.1. Time to eat humble pie?

18. okso
    Posted 14 years ago #

I've had a look around the Plesk cp and from what I can see setting up a subdomain .photofrappe.com will actually set up a new physical space on the server. I have the Plesk DNS service off and there are no domain aliases activated. As before any leads appreciated.

19. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yeah, that was a dumb answer from support.

No idea why the upgrade woudl have borked it, because it can't access or change those areas. My guess is that the server itself was upgraded aroudn the same time, and something there for messed up.

May want to go back to support to tell them you had WILDCARD subdomains enabled and now they seem to not be.

20. okso
    Posted 14 years ago #

This is the latest from Easyspace, Can I use domain alias on Plesk to get it to redirect to photofrappe.com/ directory when http://fredshively.photofrappe.com/ is requested? Easyspace support has set up a sub via Plesk which has created a completely new directory. There's a big gap here between isp and wpmu.

From support... There have been no updates made by Easyspace that would remove the ability for wildcard subdomains to be setup, however as Iain has previously indicated because you have Plesk on the server the only way to guarantee that subdomains will work is to set them up via Plesk.

At present http://fredshively.photofrappe.com/ shows a default Plesk holding page. This suggests that you haven't specified the correct location within your virtual host config file or the subdomain contents have not been uploaded correctly.

You will find that subdomains created via Plesk do work without any problems though:
    http://easyspace.photofrappe.com/

21. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Them telling you to manually create subdomains completely miss the point of having wildcards. Sheesh.

And considering they were working, and now they are not... well, let's just say I'd be talking to a higher up.

22. okso
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi Andrea, I waited for a response from support and I got a resolute nothing has changed on my server, use plesk sub domains. Whilst I know this to be bad advise in terms of plesk subs I have checked my configs and am sure everything is good. As I tested the subdomains before doing the 2.9.1.1 upgrade wouldn't that in itself indicate the error resulted from the upgrade. Either way I'm stuck with Easyspace support saying they can't help and my mu sub domains unavailable. Do you have any advise as to what I can do next. Do you think its solely down to the wild card issue? d

23. Coach_O
    Posted 14 years ago #

Sounds like I have the exact same problem

wp mu mu-2.9.1.1

all sub doimans comes up with out the / att the end
    if i ad that manualy the blog is there and working
    except fpr comments
    same thing there

my .htaccess looks like below

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /

#uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/$ index.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/(.*) wp-content/blogs.php?file=$2 [L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule . - [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-.*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

24. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"As I tested the subdomains before doing the 2.9.1.1 upgrade wouldn't that in itself indicate the error resulted from the upgrade."

You would think, but MU will install and upgrade whether or not subdomains are actually working. If MU could disable subdomains somehow, then logically it follows it can enable them too. But it can't.

So I'm gonna go with a strange coincidence, because I can't really go look, and right now, you need someone experienced to go look.

Cuz right now it looks like the wildcard subdomain record is not pointing at the actual MU install. In other words, in the vhost record for your account, something is mesed up. If I go visit the IP address of your site, I also get the default plesk page.

So... it's not MU and it's not you. It is entirely your host. If it changed, it was them. (maybe not knowingly, maybe an auto update script, but it was not MU)

25. Coach_O
    Posted 14 years ago #

my webhotel says they upgraded from PHP 5.2 till PHP 5.3

support said last night they knew the issu with messed up subdomians.
    support this morning hade no clue

so i will post back here if they answer since it seems i'm, not alone with this problem

the issue for me is this
    http://basketscenen.se/coacholofsson/ working
    http://basketscenen.se/coacholofsson not working

and when i am logged in it jumps between the diffrent blogs inside

frontpage
    http://basketscenen.se/

widget to the left that shows last updated blogs( list all)
    works since it has the / at the end

widgets to the right
    Nya bloggar ( new blogs) (ada_new_blogs_widget.php)
    Mest aktiva bloggar ( active)(ada_active_blogs_widget.php)

dont work...no / at the end

comments
    same thing just getting a error page
    page not found

26. okso
    Posted 14 years ago #

game on... http://fredshively.photofrappe.com/
    I set the Plesk default domain to photofrappe.com and presto everything back to normal.

What does that mean in relation to wildcards? There's more to this than meets the eye, no?

27. Coach_O
    Posted 14 years ago #

I dont know if it helps u
    but in my case all of a sudden Permalink Settings hade to be set as default to work

28. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"I set the Plesk default domain to photofrappe.com and presto everything back to normal.

What does that mean in relation to wildcards? There's more to this than meets the eye, no? "

That did make sense to me tho. :D

About this Topic