The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

How safe is MU over non-MU (4 posts)

1. thelaw
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm currently stuck on version 2.71 no matter what I do to try to upgrade. Each time I try only the first blog is seen and everything else cannot be redirected properly and generates 404 errors on the front and and the back end admin stays on the default blog and can't get to the others. We'll figure it out eventually but...

This led me to wonder how safe it is to continue with WPMU as things move along. Right now nothing I can do will upgrade beyond this point and already I'm seeing themes that won't work with 2.71. I'm wondering whether there is a fragility of potentially losing links to your blogs should you put your site in the hands of admins who might not be aware of the finer areas of how WP works.

Now if this was a WP blog for each one, we wouldn't have to worry about all this stuff. My goal was originally to have 3 blogs with just one login/identity for each of our users so their writing could appear in what seemed to be three different blogs on one site, e.g. /cars and /bikes and /trucks.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

I've recently upgraded a site (like, this past weekend) from a previous version to the latest. The problems you have experienced are probably specific to your install. in other words, there's a plugin, some extra file, some thing during the upgrade that is going wrong on your end.

Can't imagine what themes won't "work" with 2.7.1 or past that, because it's very rarely a theme is not working. Even in regular WP.

And the admins of each blog can't upgrade, can't install new plugins or themes, so the probability of them borking things (beyond what they can post) is quite low.

MU is in use on HUGE sites; if it borks that easily and consistently, it wouldn't be in use like it is.

(it has quirks, yes.. but the problems above aren't experienced by everyone)

3. thelaw
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm in agreement with you about the unusual nature of the upgrade but even replacing all folders with no plug-ins and a clean htaccess I still couldn't upgrade the site. Additionally, it lost the redirects which is what alarmed me. At the very worst WP standard can work on its own but WP MU really needs the redirects, at least it does from my perspective.

Perhaps I'll stick with MU since it has been solid for the most part other than this snafu and a few other anomalies that can occur. Thanks andrea and hopefully we can figure out what is causing this horrible problem.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Answering some things in the other thread, but you may need to hire someone to sort it out.

Can't really tell from here.

About this Topic