The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Which sitemap.xml plugins do you use? (4 posts)

1. takuya
    Posted 14 years ago #

There're a few sitemap.xml plugins designed to work with wpmu, but unfortunately none of them seem to work with 2.8.6 or higher.

Sitemap Generator For WordPress MU
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/sitemap-for-wpmuwordpress-mu/

We have a thread here, but is 5 months old. Plugin supports versions up to 2.8.1.

XML Sitemap Feed
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/xml-sitemap-feed/

Unfortunately this plugin has an error with feed template.

Those 2 plugins are available for free, and there's another which costs $79 (If I remember correctly) from WPMUDEV which doesn't include pages within the sitemap.xml.

Considering if someone is developing a new one, or hacking available ones, but not yet on wordpress.org extend, does anybody know a working plugin for 2.8.6 or higher (2.9)?

2. mdvaldosta
    Posted 14 years ago #

I used a plugin (in mu-plugins) to add 'pages' to the rss feed, then used another plugin (in mu-plugins) to make an xml sitemap based on the rss feed. This makes the sitemap on the fly so that there's no files to worry about getting overwritten, as with the standard WP sitemap that everyone uses. It was pretty simple and I found those somewhere on wpmudev.org or wpmututorials.com most likely. The sitemap doesn't get pinged, but that's of little consequence. You can ping it manually or use another plugin for that. I just don't worry about it, sitemaps really aren't needed and really only help super large sites with funky navigation or content that's lots of clicks deep.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

I really don't use sitemaps or recommend then unless you can prove google is consistently skipping pages. Normally, it gobbles up everything it can find on an mu site, especially with some good links from the front page.

4. nicsco
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thank you Andrea, I'll try to follow your suggestions

About this Topic