The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

What if I want posts from just 1 category to be aggregated (Sitewide Tags) (5 posts)

1. ancawonka
    Posted 14 years ago #

So I set up and installed Donncha's Sitewide Tags plugin (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-mu-sitewide-tags/) and it's working fine - except for one thing. I only want certain posts to be aggregated to my sitewide blog (Announcements). In other words, if a blog has an "announcements" category, bring it up to the top level, otherwise don't.

I can see a couple of ways to do this:

1. Keep the plugin, and filter the announcements category from the final aggregated blog. This will work, but might be confusing for the person who has to maintain this system after me.

2. Modify the plugin to allow for the admin to select categories to be aggregated, and then aggregate only those. This would provide the most robust solution, but would involve branching the plugin and make it hard to upgrade.

3. Search for a different plugin.

Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks,

Anca.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

I can think of two things:

- mod the plugin to send things as drafts only. Then go in and publish the announcement posts. (though, it's manual work.)

- pump the posts to a different tags blog, then pull in just the Announcements category feed to the main blog. Clunky, but minimal effort.

3. ancawonka
    Posted 14 years ago #

Well, I wound up doing the second choice. It turns out there are lots of other benefits to aggregating everything - like when the client comes and says "Hey, how about we also....". :)

thanks for the suggestions.

4. chiinook
    Posted 13 years ago #

I'd love to know how you did this (in detail). I'm working on a similar setup for our organization. We have one central blog for the head office then multi-author blogs set up by world regions. Regional blogs ought to have 3 or 4 categories in common, all of which should be visible in the front page (main blog) aggregation.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

1. get the sitewide tags plugin listed above
    2. activate it sitewide or drop it in the mu-plugins folder
    3. visit Site Admin -? Options. enable it. Check the option to use the main blog.

4. wait till someone makes a post.

ta da! From that point all posts will aggregate to the main blog.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by ancawonka
  • Latest reply from andrea_r