The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Moving Wordpress MU to another host (4 posts)

1. JsonB123
    Posted 14 years ago #

I realize there are many topics on this but none of them have helped in my situation so far...what's different for me?

I've set up (as I've done many times before) a Wordpress MU install with subdirectories not subdomains on my local machine using MAMP. In the past I would just create an entire new database and recreate what content I populated on the staging or live host. I want to just move it now, and I know there must be a way...so I searched because I've always had trouble getting this to work. I still am having trouble. These are the steps I've taken:
    1. Dump the database (sql) file and then do a simple search/replace on all instances of the domain name, replacing with the new domain name...seems simple enough.

2. Modify the config.php file to reflect the new database name, username and password along with the $base value and the "define('DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', '...')" value.

3. Move ALL of the files for Wordpress that exist in my local root for that site over, replacing any specific references to my local domain, if any. Make sure to move the .htaccess.dist file over.

4. Go into the Dashboard and do a quick toggle of the permalinks to make sure everything is in sync...btw, what's up with having to do this? Anyone know why?

Now, my front page loads but ALL of my links to other pages on the site get a:

Not Found
    The requested URL /abc/index.php was not found on this server.

Now, this is what is peculiar, abc is the OLD domain of my site...not the new one. When I hover the links on the new site, they read correctly in the status bar, but I get this above error telling me that the old domain page doesn't exist...and it obviously doesn't. I've done a full text search of EVERYTHING in the root file for this old domain and nothing shows, along with the sql dump file.

What am I missing here?

Images also don't load... and they are definitely being referred to correctly by src attribute in the tag. I've double checked that these images exist in the folders as well. Peculiar thing is, that when I go to the Media tab in the Dashboard, they don't show there either...until I click 'Edit' (with that fancy new Wordpress image editor) and then they show up ready for editing. What gives?

These are the sites I referenced when trying to move my MU install over:

They all basically say the same thing. Any suggestions?

2. JsonB123
    Posted 14 years ago #

This always happens about 10 minutes after I post an especially long and detailed problem I'm facing...I solve it!

I guess the biggest issue here is that I have to realize that htaccess.dist and .htaccess are different and I'm kind of embarrassed that I didn't double-check it before I wrote this post...but maybe it will help someone else. I'm using Coda, but that doesn't matter as you can show invisible files with other methods on a Mac; on Coda it's under View >Show Invisible Files (it will ready 'Hide' if you're already showing them) and then edit the .htaccess line that reads:
    RewriteBase /your-site-here/ or maybe it's just a / if you're not developing locally with many other sites.

Anyway, thanks if someone was about to point that out! Cheers!

3. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"I have to realize that htaccess.dist and .htaccess are different and I'm kind of embarrassed that I didn't double-check it before I wrote this post...but maybe it will help someone else."

I seem to mention this about every 10th post I answer and people still miss it. :)

4. ads1018
    Posted 13 years ago #

This thread just saved me a whole lot of trouble. I use Coda too and would have never thought about the 'hide/show hidden files' thing. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by JsonB123
  • Latest reply from ads1018