The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

New Stats System For Mu Nginx Users - Testers Wanted (5 posts)

1. honewatson
    Posted 14 years ago #

I've started setting up a stats program for people using Mu and Nginx.

The main problems I've found with php based stats programs is the don't scale very well and they use a lot of resources.

I wanted something where:

1. I control the data.
    2. It can work across multiple sub domains of the Mu installation.
    3. It doesn't use up valuable resources.
    4. It works fast
    5. Information can be used from it for 'most viewed' type widgets etc

The stats system uses a combination of Nginx logs, python to parse the logs, and Google App Engine to store and display results. Here is why I chose this type of set up:

1. I chose App Engine because it has a large free quota plus good scalability and it means I don't have to use my own server resources much.

2. Python can quickly parse nginx logs with low resource usage.

It's not completely finished yet, but I'm looking for some testers. You'll need to be able to:

1. Make some changes to your nginx conf file for a specific log format (straight forward instructions will be provided)

2. You'll need to include a python script in your hourly or daily cron jobs.

3. You'll need to sign up for a free google appengine account and upload the app. Again this is pretty simple. You need to do this so you can have your own private stats for your mu set up.

4. Install plugin in mu-plugin folder which will create an admin page for users to view stats for their blogs. Stats are presented with javascript by parsing json from appengine so its low overhead on your site again.

Please reply to the thread if you're interested.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hmmm. Possibly. Only catch here is time. :D

3. lunabyte
    Posted 14 years ago #

I could give it a whirl.

4. honewatson
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks folks, I am doing some refinements and will get back to you soon.

5. honewatson
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hmmm back to the drawing board for this one.

It's scaling fine, problem is I already have a database the size of 100 megabytes after 7 days. In 70 days I'll reach my appengine free quota.

So I'm going to have to figure out away to crunch the data down.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by honewatson
  • Latest reply from honewatson