The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

High Resource Usage causes hosting company to suspend site. (26 posts)

1. acadian
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hello again guys,

Again, I am having difficulties with wishfoundation.com 's WPMU installation. I just received the following message from my hosting company.
    As always, please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns. We will assist as much as possible.

Now wishfoundation has this openning page:
    This site is currently unavailable

First a bit of information pertaining to the message I received.

The resources they are referring to is the CPU, or Central Processing Unit (which is the heart of the server). This has nothing to do with disk usage or bandwidth, which is indeed unlimited with the provider that I am using. CPU is what does all of the work when loading a website, or transferring files, etc. CPU usage indicates how much of a workload is being handled by the server for each of your running tasks or commands. A load of 100% means that processor is fully utilized, whereas a load of 50% means that it's sitting idle half the time. Your averages have steadily exceeded this exponentially and by exorbitant amounts.

So here is my question to all you brains out there. Could these issues possibly be some sort of incorrect setting that could be causing all of this.
    I went through my monthly webstats and the numbers do not indicate
    this excessive usage could be due to web traffic.! This site is only receiving approximately 200,000 hits per month!

Additionally, is there someone out there that I could hire "for a reasonable price" to check things out for me as I am AGAIN, lost in these intricate functionning aspects of WPMW.
    This site does not generate any money at all so I don't want to fork out an arm and a leg to keep my hobby going.

Is there someone out there that could help?

Thank you...

Guy

2. acadian
    Posted 14 years ago #

Additional message received form hosting provider:

We suggest implementing a caching mechanism, and disabling unneeded and CPU intensive plugins or add-ons. You might want to look at optimizing your WPMU install. Based on the severity of your resource abuse, if you cannot reduce the usage, the only option is to move your site elsewhere or upgrade.

Hope this helps....

3. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"This site is only receiving approximately 200,000 hits per month!"

That is actually quite a bit for a shared host, really. You really do need to upgrade or move to a vps.

And you may have to look at the possibilities of getting funding from somewhere.

4. acadian
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hello again, Andrea

I see what you are saying, so does that mean that WPMU is by nature somewhat of a resource hungry platform!

You don't think that there could be some sort of misconfiguratino that could be causing excess cpu usage in some form or another?

I remember that the guy that I had hired told me once that he had to re-configure how memory was allocated or something in that effect. "don't know too much about this" but I know that it had something to do with memory.

Note: I have been out of touch with my provious WPMU helper for months now, he was from Romania and now, since it has been so long without being able to contact him I am starting to fear the worst as we use to communicate a lot and one day he dropped off the face of this planet!

What are your opinions on memory settings or the possibility of this being somewhat of a simple optimization issue?

Or maybe I would just have to upgrade to a dedicated server as an easy fix!

Guy

5. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"so does that mean that WPMU is by nature somewhat of a resource hungry platform!"

Yes it is. You;re running the software that Wordpress.com uses (mostly) and providing a similar service. It's server-level software.

"You don't think that there could be some sort of misconfiguratino that could be causing excess cpu usage in some form or another?"

There could be, BUT the number of visits you have is still too much to be on a shared host.

"What are your opinions on memory settings or the possibility of this being somewhat of a simple optimization issue?"

Those memory settings were on the server side, not in MU. Do you know how much RAM is allocated to your account? I can't imagine what he tweaked if you're on a shared host. Most of them don't let you touch anything like that.

"Or maybe I would just have to upgrade to a dedicated server as an easy fix!"

If you want to grow and add more users, yes. A dedicated web host is really recommended for larger sites.

6. acadian
    Posted 14 years ago #

Ok, Andrea you are breaking me down.. hehheeh
    I was running on the pro package here http://www.inmotionhosting.com/hostingplans.html

Now customer service there is telling me that I will have to upgrade to a dedicated server - http://www.inmotionhosting.com/dedicated_servers.html as he does not believe that the VPS package will take the strain off of other sites - http://inmotionhosting.com/vps_hosting.html

I would not mind so much to go with what would be a happy medium for me, with the best value VPS with 512 Mb "Dedicated" but I am not sure they will let me go with that one. They keep pushing the Dedicated Server on me as they KNOW that it will suffice!
    What is your opinion on this?
    Do you think that a VPS would be adaquate?

In the end I know that I am somehow going to have to figure out how to make this site generate a couple of dollars per month for an upgrade if I want to keep it running, I guess... So much for my little hobby :-)

Guy

7. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

I know for sure that you will need *at least* the 512 mb of ram. At least.

Have you looked into partnering up with the official wish foundation? :)

8. acadian
    Posted 14 years ago #

Well Andrea, I finally broke down and upgraded to a dedicated server.

I think it's a shame to just shut down a site that is starting to generate some activity. Having worked on this site for many months in order to try to get it populated and get traffic in return I can't just dump it.

And Yes, I have considered partnering up with Official Wish Foundation sites out there, that is the main reason that I decided to make the leap forward!
    I don't know how to, or what approach to use to get them involved but I am brainstorming that as we speak.

PS: About 8-9 years ago, one foundation from NY tried to buy this domain form me and I refused to sell it. Shortly thereafter they tried to legally TAKE it away from me! "Didn't work!" There are Wish Foundations all around the world, so I thought, What makes them better than all the rest. "Not to mention, I did not like the attitude of the guy that contacted me".

I know that this "somewhat" High Profile domain could be used for good and with me using it as a hobby, I could be the one to do it. I just wished that it would not cost me a fortune to accomplish that... "Note: I realize that one of my impediments is that I am not knowledgeable enough to do everything, but I try"

Again, going forward, and thanks again for all the information. For now, I am still up and running... :-)

Guy

9. KevinRyman
    Posted 14 years ago #

I got the same email from my hosting company. My account has been suspended because my site is using too many server resources... *sigh*

10. suissforex
    Posted 14 years ago #

I got this email today for my host who i have for almost one month and my site is new site with only few pages but i have flash banners (i am not sure if they take much cpu or the plugins which i downloaded over 10 but i don't use them all!
    here is the email: "As you probably aware, here at Just Host we proactively monitor all our servers to ensure that our clients websites are loading as fast as possible at all times. During this routine monitoring we
    have found that your account is utilizing an excessive amount of system resources, and we have been forced to suspend your site as per our terms and conditions '10% CPU/MEM/MySQL Policy'

For your reference, here is a copy of your usage report:

Top Process %CPU 45.0 /usr/bin/php /home/fastcas4/public_html/index.php

%MySQL 12.0

Just Host offer unlimited hosting space and unlimited bandwidth, but as per our terms we will suspend any website which exceeds our 10% CPU/MEM/MySQL policy. We hope that you understand our position in
    ensuring that we provide the best possible service. In order to continue to provide this high quality service, you will need to upgrade to a dedicated server, which will give you an abundance of
    additional resources and speed up your website"

they suspended my account and took them half a day to notify me! i had no backup of my files and i had hard time reaching them to get access to the cpanel which i denied me access to!!!
    anyway i don't know what caused this high usage of CPU! i know one thing i was very active the whole day yesterday with facebook and lots of people looked at my site. could this be a problem or the plug ins?

11. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"i know one thing i was very active the whole day yesterday with facebook and lots of people looked at my site."

Yes, that'll do it. It's more to do with your host only letting you use 10% of the CPU at a time. That's your limit with "unlimited" resources.

If you want to stay at that host, you'll have to upgrade, but I'd just move to a better host.

12. suissforex
    Posted 14 years ago #

sorry i just noticed that finally someone answered to my CPU problem with my ex host justhost(they really bad just to let everyone knows)

thanks andrea i did move to Inmotion hosting so far they are great and very helpful!
    but i am trying to find out how to monitor my CPU usage

13. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

Um, you do realize that you;ve gone from one "unlimited" host to what appears to be another "unlimited" host, right? Chances are you;re going to have the same problem if you;re again on shared hosting.

14. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

On most shared hosts they don't have a way to do that.

15. gmchun
    Posted 13 years ago #

Hai,

I using vps with as following spec:
    CPU Cores:3
    Guaranteed Memory:1GB
    Burst Memory:1.5GB
    Disk Space:100GB
    Bandwidth:3,000GB

I get warning email after seconds day of using my vps.My is 10,000 Users and 10,000 Blogs with 100,000 table.Even just export database,it take me 3 days to do it.I have try 3 time for export database and finaly get back my database.So,cause my website down for couple weeks.
    I install wp super cache and some optimize plugin for html and css.
    But still remain same and cpu usage cause until 250%.

Can anyone suggest any solution to me?

Regards,
    Wallace

16. tdjcbe
    Posted 13 years ago #

I answered this in your other thread but you;re going to have to break down and by yourself a server:

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic/17809?replies=2

And maybe a server tech. No offense but if it took you 3 days to export a database, something's not right. I have a feeling that you ran the backup through an interface of some sort (ie CPanel or phpmyadmin) instead of from the command line. I regularly backup multiple gig databases for some of the forums we host and it takes 10 minutes tops.

17. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

"My is 10,000 Users and 10,000 Blogs "

And how many of these are actual legit users & not spam? Clean them out first.

18. manishrc
    Posted 13 years ago #

wouldn't it be optimized we remove unwonted php functions?
    like instead if a function to call a blog url, replace it with an url itself.
    and trying to integrate all css into one?

19. tdjcbe
    Posted 13 years ago #

You could (we do the css combining for plugins although you can;t do it for themes of course since they're all different) but folks need to realize that if you have 10k blogs, you have 10k wordpress installs, shared script base or not. You're not going to put 10k blogs on a server.

Heck, on my hosting boxes, we only put 225 clients on a box and they average 2.7 software installs each. And those are dual intel 2.8-3.2's with 12 gigs of memory each. (I don;t like load.)

20. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Yeah, static calls & caching will only get you so far with that many blogs on one server. o_O

21. tdjcbe
    Posted 13 years ago #

Switching from Apache to Nginx seems to be recommended although on a shared environment, that's hard to do since each software requires a separate setup. If you;re on a dedicated server or VPS, that's something you can look into.

The combining the css is a good idea though. Stick it in it's own file though. Don;t set it up to load into the outputted head. Else you're just adding to the size of the output and increasing bandwidth. When it;s in it;s own file, it'll get loaded just once on a visit. (Well with most server setups.)

That'll mean you;ll have to edit all those plugins. That may be an issue for some.

22. tdjcbe
    Posted 13 years ago #

I see the caching is acting up again.

23. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Huge fan of Nginx here. Two thumbs up.

24. acadian
    Posted 13 years ago #

Hello Andrea, I was out for quite a while "gave up on all of this for a while" but I am back to play for a bit!

As usual I still have a couple of glithches with my site that I would like to talk to you personally about.. Looking to hire a pro.

If you are interested please me at punkylazar @ gmail.com "without the spaces" so I can enlighten you..

thanks

Guy

25. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

I am booked thru September at this point.

Best bet is to go down the people on this page: http://wpmututorials.com/freelancers/

26. acadian
    Posted 13 years ago #

thanks there buddy...

About this Topic