The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Currently running 6 WP Blogs, should I switch to Wordpress MU? (3 posts)

1. skadar
    Posted 14 years ago #

I am currently running 6 blogs with separate installations of WP. Each blog is on its own domain and ranked highly in Google for relevant key words.

I am very tempted to move to Wordpress MU, but I have a few concerns:

1) Not disturbing my Google rankings

2) Getting Wordpress MU to run with full, unique domains (not sub-domains)

3) Actually pulling off the switch-over as seamlessly as possible (see #1)

Is this all doable? Can somebody ease my fears with a success story?

Steve

p.s. I also remember reading something about Wordpress 3.0 containing all of the functionality of MU. Is this real or did I dream it?

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

WordPress 3.0 will have all thus functionality (and more!) but the separate domains for each blog will still be handled via plugins.

It's a little bit trickier to handle the moving over of the other blogs, but doable with loads of advance planning.

Yeah, done it a few times. :D wpmututorials.com used to be a single WP install that I merged into a MU site. No, that blog is not the main blog on the MU site.

3. srdusky
    Posted 14 years ago #

I combined four different WordPress installations into one WordPress MU. They each had their own domain, but were found on the same server (no subdomains). I used "WordPress MU Domain Mapping":
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-mu-domain-mapping/

It was a worthy change to place all of my blogs under one WordPress MU installation. I followed instructions that I currently can't find...

About this Topic