The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Domain Mapping for newbie (6 posts)

1. andysim
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm in the process setting up a wordpress MU site, but I need to be able to use the domain mapping plug in to point other urls to the blogs created on my wordpress mu installation. I've got the donncha plug in installed, but can't seem to get it working. I've been through numerous forums and can't seem to get it going so I'm thinking that something needs to be set up with the host in order for it to work.

Just as an example, I'm trying to map rugbymarinecadets.com to the blog that i've set up for them at rugbymarinecadets.flo-online.co.uk.

the domain mapping plug in is asking for the server IP address, I've pinged the blog and get 79.170.40.33, so have entered this.

the instructions then state:
    "f you want to redirect a domain you will need to add a DNS "A" record pointing at the IP address of this server: 79.170.40.33"

I've then logged into the dns settings for rugbymarinecadets.com and set up an a record, pointing to 79.170.40.33, but this doesn't work.

My host is birchhosting.co.uk and they use Bpanel as their control panel, both domain names are registered with a easyspace and I use ZoneEdit to configure them as easyspace are a bit limited on their options.

Should I be changing any of the DNS settings on the domain name that the wordpress is installed under?

All I seem to get each time is a blank screen?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Andy

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Did you follow these directions?

http://wpwebhost.com/using-multiple-domains-with-wordpress-mu/

You only use the A record if you've already set up your server with a named wildcard to handle it. likely, you don;t have access. So you;'ll need to use CNAMEs on the DNS side, and on your server end, "park" each domain on top of your MU install.

3. andysim
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yes, followed all those, but I think it's the CNAME stuff thats confusing me, apologies if this is a bit basic, but want to check its as it should be - so..

I don't touch the DNS settings for the wordpress domain(flo-online.co.uk) i just leave these with the nameserver of my host and don't add any cnames or a records.

the dns settings for the 2nd domain, i don't touch the a records as i'm on a shared host, i just set a cname pointing to rugbymarinecadets.flo-online.co.uk:

I use zoneedit to conifgure dns, so that now shows:
    rugbymarinecadets.com is another name for rugbymarinecadets.flo-online.co.uk
    http://www.rugbymarinecadets.com is another name for rugbymarinecadets.flo-online.co.uk

I've added the 2nd url in the domain mapping settings for that blog (not the mu main blog) and set it to primary.

Is that all as it should be or am I missing something as it's stil not working!?

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"i just set a cname pointing to rugbymarinecadets.flo-online.co.uk:"

This isn't correct. You set a cname pointing to your MAIN MU install, not the sub-blog.

MU is going to change the domain of the blog - thus the subdomain won't exist as the blog's domain. thus the CNAME pointing to the sub will never find it.

5. andysim
    Posted 14 years ago #

that makes sense :)

I've updated the cname so that rugbymarinecadets.com (with and without the www) is another name for flo-online.co.uk

thank you for your help and sorry if this is all basic stuff! been using regular wp for a while but never had to tinker with these kind of settings before!

I'll let you know if this works

andy

6. andysim
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi Andrew,

Just to update you, it wouldn't work, I've contactd the host and they can't get it to work either. Switched to another provider and it's worked first time.

Thank you for all your help

Andy
    :)

About this Topic