The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Active account with closed/secure website - problem! (6 posts)

1. ToreGu
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi all!

I'm using the latest WPMU for a closed website. We're using Buddypress on it and don't want outsiders in.

I've handled this using two steps.

1. Secure the website by using this code in the header:

<?php if(!is_user_logged_in()){

nocache_headers();
    header("HTTP/1.1 302 Moved Temporarily");
    header('Location: ' . get_settings('siteurl') . '/wp-signup.php?redirect_to=' . urlencode($_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']));
    header("Status: 302 Moved Temporarily");
    exit();

} ?>

That way, only registered users who are logged in gets in and can see any part of the website.

2. How to get new registrants?

I've used the plugin Secure Invites. This plugin let's current users invite others by adding their email to a list. The new registrant gets an invite email and is allowed to signup.

BUT!

When the user gets the email invite to register they're unable to reach the website because of the security code in the header (shown above).

I've tried to solve this by adding a second blog (which is the primary blog) which is the only one beeing secure/closed. The "front blog" doesn't have the code on the header shown above. Using this strategy allows the user to register but not to active his/her account. Then the user is stopped again by the security code.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to solve this? I've tried talking to the plugin-creator and I've tried hiring a good coder but they haven't been able to solve this particular scenario.

I haven't been able to solve this for months so any help would be very appreciated! I'm willing to pay to have this solved.

Thanks for listening!

Tore

2. ToreGu
    Posted 14 years ago #

Oh, this problem presents itself without Buddypress. So it's not related only to that.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Because the logic above never actually allows them to login.

If you're using Secure Invites, shouldn't that take care of it alone?

4. ToreGu
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi Andrea!

Secure Invites only handles the registration so it doesn't hide any pages from non-registrees. We want all parts of the website closed (except this semi-open registration).

Is it possible to add something to the logic so that some pages like activate.php, register.php, etc won't get caught by the security?

Thanks for responding!

//Tore - listening to Jeff Mills & Montpelier orchestra

5. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

What about the buddypress privacy plugin from Jeff Sayre?

6. ToreGu
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi again!

It's not finished for 1.2 and Jeff is starting up a new company right now so I don't know when it'll be finished. Also he has said that the forum component in groups won't be covered by his privacy plugin (if I undestood him correctly). That's not acceptable for me.

I've been waiting for the privacy component for a few months and banged my head against the wall concerning making this work. Money doesn't seem to be impetus enough either.

Well, I wont give up. :)

//Tore - listening to Phoenix

About this Topic