The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Is there a Plugin to let users to edit their own css? (12 posts)

1. janefens
    Posted 17 years ago #

Can anybody tell me? Is there a css editer plugin.

2. Simon1
    Posted 17 years ago #

You coud try modifying:

http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/user-themes/

In combination with /wp-admin/theme-editor.php to only display and allow editing of a user copy of the css file for each theme. That's what i've done with my new MU setup (url in my profile).

It does use an mkdir() function that only works with php5, but you could always find a work-around for that if you only have access to php4.

3. AndWat
    Posted 17 years ago #

Given that CSS editing is now available at WordPress.com (as a $15/year extra), will it appear in WPMU? What I actually mean, of course, is: Will a future release of WPMU allow admins to allow their bloggers to edit CSS?

4. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

The CSS editing is thru a special "Sandbox" theme they developed. Since wp.com has a few other features that MU doesn't, it's anyone's guess as to whether it shows up in MU. The Sandbox developer has said he will make that theme available for public release though.

to answer you question, I would say probably not, as the official line is allowing users to ediut css open up a can of worms along the lines of security issues.

5. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I already have clients asking for it on my MU install. I'm assuming that the Sandbox theme was designed around the idea of "admins can do no wrong" analysis that exists in regular WordPress but is a security risk in WPMU.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

and it has the MAtt Stamp of Approval (tm).

I had a paragraph of snark in there, but nuked it. Sigh. If existing options out there were more supported by big-wigs, then we'd all be getting somewhere.

7. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Didn't we just go through "Stamps of Approvals" on one of the mailing lists? :)

8. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

I think so. :) Posters forget about lurkers, I find.

9. dsader
    Posted 17 years ago #

Jason_Customciser.php works for me. Allows users to edit colour values and replace images in the stylesheet only. No way to enter php code. etc.

Doesn't work on a theme activated as a "user theme" only system themes.

I've even modified the menu to read "Edit CSS".

10. jjmajava
    Posted 17 years ago #

How would editing just the CSS (not the template itself) be a security risk? You cant't make linked CSS stylesheet execute PHP or Javascript.

...or can you?

11. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yes you can. I've seen examples where even if the css has a URL to something that looks like an image (say, header.jpg) if that file is a script, it will get executed.

12. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Of course that will only happen if the browser lets it.

Now I understand why over on WP.com, animated headers are being turned off. We had folks expressing their annoyance over that. Hmmm....

About this Topic