The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Blogs have gone blank + plugin upgrades error message (10 posts)

1. prodos
    Posted 14 years ago #

Good evening.

I've just upgraded to WPMU 2.9.1.1

Prior to upgrading all the blogs on my system were blank. After the upgrade they are still blank.

By "blank" I mean that only white appears when going to any blog address.

For instance: http://prodos.thinkertothinker.com

However, if I go to the admin address of a blog (..../wp-admin/) I can log in to the Dashboard without a problem.

If I go to ...

Posts >> Edit >> (choose a post) >> Click Edit

... I can see the content of the post.

If I try to view the post or to preview the post, I just get a blank white page.

After upgrading to 2.9.1.1 I tried to upgrade the 4 plugins that needed upgrading.

I used the automatic upgrade option.

In each case I got an error message like this:

Downloading update from http://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/photopress.zip.
    Unpacking the update.
    Installing the latest version.
    Deactivating the plugin.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/prodos/public_html/thinkertothinker.com/wp-admin/admin-header.php:18) in /home/prodos/public_html/thinkertothinker.com/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 868
    Removing the old version of the plugin.

Any thoughts on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Best Wishes,

Prodos
    Melbourne, Australia

2. prodos
    Posted 14 years ago #

Howdy.

It looks like my WPMU system has been hacked.

I found at /wp-content/index.php

<?php
    // Silence is golden.
    ?>

Suggestions welcomed. Thanks.

3. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

No, that file is there as a security measure so the contents of that directory can't be viewed.

Prior to upgrading all the blogs on my system were blank. After the upgrade they are still blank.

That's a problem. Usually the blank white pages are a sign of a mucked up plugin. If you search the forums for 'blank white' you'll see many many threads on this topic. Please check your webserver's logs to see what's being dropped in there. That's a good habit to get into by the way for any software you install or support forum you visit.

And a serious suggestion to not use the automatic installer for plugins. Many of us are not. You should be reviewing everything you add to your install before adding it in. Again, a search of the forums should show you some discussion on the topic.

4. prodos
    Posted 14 years ago #

Usually the blank white pages are a sign of a mucked up plugin.

Thanks tdjcbe. :-)

I'll follow up on your suggestions in the morning. (It's half past midnight here in Melbourne.)

Best Wishes,

Prodos

5. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Turn off all your plugin, revert to the default theme. Your MU site will come back.

Now you have to check which plugins crapped out your site.

6. prodos
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks andrea_r,

I've just written to you via your website @ http://ronandandrea.com

Best Wishes,

Prodos

7. prodos
    Posted 14 years ago #

Good morning,

If anyone can fix this problem for me, I can pay $50 via PayPal.

Please email me directly: prodos [at] prodos [dot] com
    (Please remember to make the subject line very clear.)

(I hope that such offers/requests are not in breach of this forum's rules. I didn't see any rules that indicated that.)

I've also written to a couple of people listed @ http://wpmututorials.com/freelancers/ with this request.

Thanks.

Best Wishes,

PRODOS

8. prodos
    Posted 14 years ago #

Good afternoon,

Reporting that Brian Freeman, whom I contacted via http://wpmututorials.com/freelancers/ has responded.

Brian asked me to add this line within the wp-config.php page

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

Doing so seems to have caused the following error message to appear within my Dashboard. As I understand it, the above code is designed to do exactly that sort of thing.

Notice: Undefined index: _wp_debugger in /home/prodos/public_html/thinkertothinker.com/wp-content/mu-plugins/1916134962_change-blog-url.php on line 1

Notice: Undefined index: reset in /home/prodos/public_html/thinkertothinker.com/wp-content/mu-plugins/cets_blog_defaults.php on line 1011

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/prodos/public_html/thinkertothinker.com/wp-includes/general-template.php on line 366

Notice: Undefined index: plugin in /home/prodos/public_html/thinkertothinker.com/wp-admin/includes/mu.php on line 825

Notice: Undefined index: plugin in /home/prodos/public_html/thinkertothinker.com/wp-admin/includes/mu.php on line 850

Notice: Undefined index: plugin in /home/prodos/public_html/thinkertothinker.com/wp-admin/includes/mu.php on line 1059

I'll report on further developments.

Best Wishes,

PRODOS

9. prodos
    Posted 14 years ago #

Howdy.

Browsing some more within my Dashboard I now see LOTS and LOTS of error messages.

The error messages noted in my earlier post are only a small portion of what I'm now seeing.

Bye.

Prodos

10. prodos
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hooray!

Problem fixed!

Brian Freeman wrote to me ....

Found the culprit to your problems.

Appears to be caused by this plugin 'Swith Blog URL' which I have renamed (so that the file is not processed by WPMU).

Blogs are coming up now and I've removed the debug line to hide those annoying errors you were seeing. I looked at the plugin code a bit and i'm not sure exactly what part of the plugin is breaking WPMU, but I would advise just not using it for now until the author produces a new version.

Thanks Brian.

And thanks to tdjcbe and andrea_r who chipped in.

Best Wishes,

PRODOS

About this Topic