The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

I have a html website in the same directory as a WPmu install (3 posts)

1. solarpower
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi,

I'm not having a good time with this installation.

Until I get my WordpressMU working correctly with all the content added, I don't want to abandon my static website. In fact, I'd like to keep it there in case my wp database ever crashes. Is this even possible?

But at the moment I can't even preview the new theme or the pages to test the look and feel. Is an edit of the .htaccess file required?

I also want to map some domains but I'm not getting anywhere on that.

See http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic/16886?replies=8

What I would like people to see is an index.html opening page that gives users a choice between two WP [as CMS] websites/blogs. Choice 1 would lead to domain1.ca Choice 2 would lead to domain1.com

Wpmu is installed on the public_html [root?] of domain1.ca . domain1.com is an add-on domain of domain1.ca's account

Would a clean install of WPmu, killing the existing mySQL process [there's no content there anyway] give me a fresh start?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Al

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"What I would like people to see is an index.html opening page that gives users a choice between two WP [as CMS] websites/blogs. Choice 1 would lead to domain1.ca Choice 2 would lead to domain1.com"

The only way to do this is to have the index.html outside of where the MU install is.

Everything - and I mean everything - is run thru index.php in the root. If you slap a index.html in the same spot, you kill it.

So, you can do what you want - and keep your old pages, you just have to put MU in a different spot.

3. solarpower
    Posted 14 years ago #

So, you can do what you want - and keep your old pages, you just have to put MU in a different spot.

Thanks Andrea, that helps a lot. Made some progress on that!

But... I can't run the domain mapping plugin [even if I could get it to work] unless WPmu is installed in the root/public_html directory.

Darn!:-)

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by solarpower
  • Latest reply from solarpower