The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Custom home page (13 posts)

1. wojtekor
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi all!

I've got a question, is it possible and how to change the default home page? I am not talking about settings-reading-static page; what i want to do is to havea custom index.html when the domain in accessed.
    Possible?

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yes.

But not how you think. Put your custom page in a *theme*. Change the theme on that main blog to your custom theme. There ya go.

3. wojtekor
    Posted 14 years ago #

Pardon?

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

The default home page is rendered from the theme that is set on the main blog.

5. wojtekor
    Posted 14 years ago #

So if I replace index.php in my theme directory with my index.html it will become the home page yet wordpress will still be working fine?

6. turkel
    Posted 14 years ago #

I recommend to make custom page for it and then change your default home page to new one. You need to create yournewpage.php, more instruction:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Pages

7. wojtekor
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thank you. I already jave created a custom page index.html I will just change the extension to php.
    My question or rather fear is; if I got it right, I should replace index.php in my theme directory with my custom page and wordpress will still be working fine?

8. wojtekor
    Posted 14 years ago #

OK, took a risk and replaced and all is working fine, one thing though, how do I access the home site of the blog now?

9. wojtekor
    Posted 14 years ago #

anyone?

10. wojtekor
    Posted 14 years ago #

Now this has messed up my site a bit.. .When a new blog is created for example test.domain.com it too redirects to my cutom page when accessed. How to fix it?

11. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Are the other blogs using that theme too? If so, that's why.

Or you put the new index.php in the wrong place.

To see your blog posts, make a page called "blog" in the backend. Go to Setting -> Reading and pick that page to show posts on. Make sure you linked to it from your custom page.

12. wojtekor
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yes the blogs are using the same theme, how do I make the main site use one theme and rest of the blogs use other theme as default?

13. wojtekor
    Posted 14 years ago #

OK I've managed to fix it, copied the default theme, named it default2 with my custom page inside and set it as the theme for my main site. Other newly registered blogs still have the default theme intact and use it.

Thanks for your help!

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by wojtekor
  • Latest reply from wojtekor