The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Wordpress Installing (test) data across MySql dedicated server? (5 posts)

1. Mobster
    Posted 14 years ago #

I was approached by a server admin after installing Wordpress MU on a dedicated server. I was questioned with this, "When Wordpress MU installs, does it install a (test) database on the server?"

Is this possible?

Or is this some security vulnerability on their end? Apparently, something installed a (test) database on all of his databases.

2. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

Some quick google'ing shows a couple of discussions of folks seeing this and folks pointing at this:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysqltest/en/

Please note the date of the docs.

I haven't seen this.

3. Mobster
    Posted 14 years ago #

Turns out, it's a bot running wild on his server ignoring his directives and has nothing to do with the Wordpress install.

4. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

It sounds a bit worrying that something can go rampaging round his server creating new databases with impunity - who knows what else it might have done. I'd ask for your passwords to be changed and possibly recommend your users change their WPMU passwords too.

5. Mobster
    Posted 14 years ago #

Nope, like I said, it had nothing to do with my account at all and everything to do with a module he installed relating to RSS.

Because no-one has installed Wordpress on his dedicated t3 server, the common misconception of wordpress's insecurity and vulnerabilities from the past reared it's ugly head and I was the brunt of accusation. He insisted my Wordpress install had messed with the integrity of his server.

He uses OS-Commerce which (in my opinion) has it's own set of vulnerabilities nearly equal to Wordpress.

About this Topic