The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Sticky posts, index, category front page (5 posts)

1. thelaw
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm wondering if there is a way to create a front page for a category like you can for the home page. So instead of last X posts, you can assign a page with whatever you like to be the front page of that category like the page is a home page for the site.

For example, let's say on one category I want it to be a page of 20 links to different pages in the category, not a running list with excerpts from the last X posts. In the alternative, I would like to have a sticky post there, perhaps just one post that has that list of 20 links to those posts (like an index.)

Has anyone done anything like this? It's helpful when yuo're doing a set number of items in certain categories and excellent for SEO purposes.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

then you'd make the edits to that theme's category.php template. You can even do a category-25.php template to show things differently for posts in category 25, for example.

3. thelaw
    Posted 14 years ago #

Awesome Andrea, thank you for leading me in that direction. How would I get WP to call cat-25.php instead of the category.php template?

In addition, I'm looking at a theme and don't even see a category.php file.

Could you or someone point me in the right direction for making the right calls? many thanks... truly.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Any regular WordPress tutorial for this would do.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Category_Templates

5. thelaw
    Posted 14 years ago #

Many thanks - sometimes I miss the right page in the codex...

About this Topic