The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

List of TESTED themes (8 posts)

1. jwack
    Posted 14 years ago #

I was wondering if anyone has a list of tested themes? I am looking to include about 20 themes within wordpress mu, themes with custom header options would be a bonus.

2. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

No such thing really. Just like regular wordpress, themes that work for some folks don't work for others. All depends on their own configuration, what plugins are installed, and the like.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

... but the shorter list woudl be themes that don't work at all. It's a might short list.

Regular WordPress themes work just fine in MU.

there are things you need to look out for, but it's very rare that a theme breaks under MU when it works fine in WP.

Custom header themes?
    http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/tag-filter/

Go there, pick "custom header". You'll get 128 results.

4. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

I went looking for the filter as well. Kind of surprised that there's a buddypress and not a wpmu. Not sure if there's a need though.

You may want to run through this subforum to see what experiences folks have had with the different themes.

What you install also depends on what kind of wpmu site you;re trying to setup.

5. jwack
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks, I'll take a look through some of these using that filter.

I was hoping to get a list of themes from a few people that they like to use, or that they know are good. Mainly I am looking for themes that would be good "out of the box" for MU users to pick from. Also, giving them the custom header feature makes sense.

I've never really used a theme from someone else. I could be wrong but can't anyone upload a theme? Just because its in the themes list doesn't really mean its a solid theme?

I am using very minimal plugins, so there shouldn't be an issue there.

If I don't get a list back from someone I will post back here ones that I come across that seem solid as a default theme.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"Kind of surprised that there's a buddypress and not a wpmu. Not sure if there's a need though."

There isn;t a need for a wpmu tag though. BuddyPress does need a tag as you just can;t toss a regualr WP theme in there without it borking. even on single WP. BP is theme-based remember.

jwack - the theme there can be uploaded by "just anyone" but they are checked for certain standards.

There are literally thousands of themes. Not just on the repo. I would venture to say that half, if not most, are pretty solid. the features you want in a default theme may be different from what I want. I have personal preferences, and themes I like. YMMV.

That's why I'm not giving a list. :)

Most I can tell ya is watch out for themes that have encryption in the footer. There's a few paid themes out there that I like, but I am a theme junkie. My faves run into the hundreds.

Also: 3.0 will have a new default theme called 2010. Kubric and classic will no longer be offered. 2010 is pretty darn solid.

7. jwack
    Posted 14 years ago #

"but they are checked for certain standards"
    I didn't realize that.

Can you explain what you mean by "encryption in the footer"? I'm not sure what this means?

8. jwack
    Posted 14 years ago #

To answer my own question...
    "Some of the Wordpress themes that are freely available these days come with encrypted footer links which more often than not point to unrelated and normally excluded domains."

About this Topic