The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

how integrate existing WP blog subdomain (6 posts)

1. CiderJack
    Posted 14 years ago #

I have an existing WP blog on a subdomain, and I want to install MU on the domain root. Is there a way to integrate the existing blog into this MU install?

2. CiderJack
    Posted 13 years ago #

Poking around in the Codex (imagine that!) I read something about the import/export tool in the Admin panel. Wondering if it would work to export from a stand-alone WP install onto my hdd (or onto the server) then import from there onto the virtual subdomain blog that was setup using MU?

3. CiderJack
    Posted 13 years ago #

Anyone? :)

I can't test this without risk of losing my current blog.

Is it possible to export a stand-alone WP blog (that is in a subdomain), then import it into a virtual subdomain (of the same name) created by MU? Any pointers regarding anything I need to look out for etc?

4. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Yes it is entirely possible. It works just the same way users from wordpress.com export their blog and move to a stand-alone.

3.0 is just around the corner. You'll be able to enable the network and your current blog will be the main site in a MU install.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network

5. CiderJack
    Posted 13 years ago #

Thanks andrea, I'll go ahead and give it a shot
    I just realized too that after exporting the blog data, if it didn't work out with mu I could just re-install the stand-alone wp and re-import the file... I don't seem to be at my quickest this week...

6. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Make backups of the database before you start. :)

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by CiderJack
  • Latest reply from andrea_r