The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Multiple Sites and Only 1 Database? (4 posts)

1. webworkers
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm curious to know ... If I have multiple websites and they are all using the same database, wouldn't the size of the database slow down each site because it's having to go through more information?

Is Wordpress MU the best solution if you're wanting to have multiple websites (not subdomains) with a lot of content, or would individual installs (with separate database) be the best solution?

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

That's why the database has plenty of indexes. It's how a relational database works. :)

3. Nicco
    Posted 14 years ago #

Also for every new blog, 8 new tables are added. Technically they don't share data with the other blogs' tables so there's really just a little overhead (like when WP needs to know what tables it needs to run the queries on).

With plugins such SharDB or HyperDB you can solve the whole issue by using multiple database servers, each with a limited number of blogs (all kind of independent from each other).

Somebody shout and yell at me if I'm telling plain lies :)

P.S. - WordPress Mu is the way to go if you want multiple websites with lots of stuff and traffic (that's the very software that runs WordPress.com, or so they say).

Just take some time to think about optimization, server workloads and so on. In the end it all depends on how you plan it out.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Nah, you got it Nicco. :)

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by webworkers
  • Latest reply from andrea_r