The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Advice? Short-term (WPMU + Buddypress), or (Wordpress 2.9 Buddypress)? (7 posts)

1. daviding
    Posted 13 years ago #

I would appreciate some informal advice from people who are more knowledgeable.

I'm working with a friend to put up a multiuser Wordpress site plus Buddypress.

The right long-term direction is Wordpress 3 + Buddypress. We've been playing the the Wordpress 3 alpha.

However, we really should get this site up in the next few weeks (i.e. April 2010). That's close to the Wordpress 3 beta timeframe ... which introduces some risks.

I'm thinking that the right thing to do is to go with Wordpress 2.9 and Buddypress, and hold off on additional subdomains in the short term. After Wordpress 3 comes out, then we can upgrade and add the subdomains.

As I read the "migration to Wordpress 3.0" thread at http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic/16342 , I'm thinking that there may be continuity between the Wordpress 2.9 architecture and Wordpress 3.0, but potentially a break between WPMU and Wordpress 3.

Comments are welcomed. Thanks.

2. tmoorewp
    Posted 13 years ago #

The developers have said all along that they are working towards a seamless upgrade from WPMU and WP versions 2.9 to version 3.

I'd set up the site as you need it and then duplicate it to a development environment. When 3.0 hits, test it in the development environment to see how much breaks before you go live with it.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

I'm thinking that the right thing to do is to go with Wordpress 2.9 and Buddypress, and hold off on additional subdomains in the short term. After Wordpress 3 comes out, then we can upgrade and add the subdomains.

That's a good plan. Read up on enabling the Network.

Right now, BP is not guaranteed to work on WP 3.0, but Andy and the bo devs are taking a look at it now that it is in beta.

I'm thinking that there may be continuity between the Wordpress 2.9 architecture and Wordpress 3.0, but potentially a break between WPMU and Wordpress 3.

Workin' hard to make it as seamless as possible. There will be some things moved around & renamed. But overall, I have seen rockier upgrades with early MU versions.

4. wisdomcorps
    Posted 13 years ago #

Just to be certain I understand: with WP 2.9.2 and Buddypress, can I set up a Forum, and other features or do I need WPMU or WP3.0?

5. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

The only difference between WPMU & WP with buddypress, is MU allows the users to have blogs. That's it.

In 3.0, you can turn on the blogs feature, that's it.

The forum that is built in with BP is used in the Groups themselves. If you have specific querstiosn about BP & forums, please go ask on the BP support forums. there's more people there to help.

http://buddypress.org/support/

6. inweb
    Posted 13 years ago #

I upgraded an existing blog to WP3.0 RC

One thing I did notice is that when I turned on the blogs feature, because it was an existing blog I didn't have a choice of the new blogs being on a subdomain (usersblog.mysite.com) - it automatically set it up as a mysite.com/userblog.

7. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

It depends on the circumstances. If your install was in a subfolder, it won't let you pick subdomains.

About this Topic

• Started 13 years ago by daviding
  • Latest reply from andrea_r