The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Categories & Posts keep disappearing (8 posts)

1. inweb
    Posted 13 years ago #

I'm running WPMU 2.9.2 on my site. I have 100 blogs on there and the site has been running since July 09 with no problems at all.

On the 16th March 2010 I noticed the categories had all disappeared. I got my techie person to restore a previous database from the 14th and it all worked well for a couple of days, and the info disappeared again.

I was able to see the posts in the admin area but they weren't showing on the site for visitors to see.

The categories and or posts have crashed about a dozen times over the last 2-3 weeks and I haven't found anyone who can fix this for me.

The individual blogs retain their info, it's just the posts / categories on the main site - both entered directly to the main site and also the posts pulled in from the individual blogs.

I'm so incredibly desperate for help on this - is there someone who can help me please.

I'm happy to pay for someone to fix this for me

thanks

stef

2. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

it's just the posts / categories on the main site - both entered directly to the main site and also the posts pulled in from the individual blogs.

What plugin are you using to pull the posts to the main blog? Sitewide tags?

3. inweb
    Posted 13 years ago #

yes sitewide tags

4. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

By default, after it hits 5000 posts, it starts clearing them out. Go to Site Admin -> Options, scroll down to the sitewide tags settings area, check that number.

Crank it higher, see if that helps.

Also, if it's crashing, the first step for any troubleshooting is to check your error logs. These are server-driven, not WP generated, but they will tell you about any php errors.

5. inweb
    Posted 13 years ago #

yeah we've checked the logs - nothing revealing there.

The problem isn't sitewide tags - cause it's not just the posts pulled from the other blogs - it's ALL posts.

When this first happened we lost the categories and not the posts - but of course the result was the same - there were no posts showing on the site.

The categories and or posts have crashed about a dozen times now and we can't find a solution.

6. DeannaS
    Posted 13 years ago #

Did you install a new theme or plugin recently? Something that could be hacking your site in some way, perhaps?

7. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

We really need more details. With only the info provided, it's impossible to narrow down why. Get someone to read the error logs.

(also: quilter here!)

8. inweb
    Posted 13 years ago #

i had installed new plugins and have deactivated and or deleted them again trying to narrow this down. The plugins where added 2 or 3 days before the first crash. No new themes have been added.

I was considering creating a new, clean install on new hosting, then adding the info with minimal plugins, then adding one plugin at a time.

My techie girl has worked her magic and got the info back, but I dont think she found the problem, so I'm concerned it could all happen again - but touch wood it's fine for the moment.

andrea_r - we're everywhere!!

About this Topic