The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Installing and upgrading with subversion (11 posts)

1. moose123
    Posted 13 years ago #

Hello,

I may be installing a fresh version of Mu on a new server and I'd like to use Subversion for the initial installation and subsequent stable release upgrades. I want to do this instead of doing the "delete old files then ftp the new ones" process, which has at times been a nightmare.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of information about using Subversion specifically for Mu. Is using it for Mu essentially the same as using it for the stand-alone version? Are there differences? Drawbacks, etc?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Moose

2. tdjcbe
    Posted 13 years ago #

http://codex.wordpress.org/WPMU_SVN_Repository

??

That's the way we do it but with a second local svn/ trac server in between so we can make local changes, install plugins and themes, and make other changes.

3. moose123
    Posted 13 years ago #

Ah, beautiful. Thanks so much.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Yeah, other than the address, it's essentially the same.

But... mu isn't being updated more & is merged with single wp, so eventually, you'll have to svn up to regular wp anyway.

5. moose123
    Posted 13 years ago #

Thanks andrea_r. I was just wondering about the status of "the merge." Do you happen to know when WP will officially be released as one codebase?

6. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Yes, I do happen to know. :D

In version 3.0. All the devs (well, almost all) were in San Fransisco this week for a code sprint and the beta2 version will likely be out by the end of the week.

Technically, most of the work on the merge part was done in single WP trac by the end of February. The rest has been tweaking.

I've been playing with 3.0 betas from trac for a couple months, in multi-site mode.

You'll now call it running a network of sites, or using multisite, instead of mu.

7. moose123
    Posted 13 years ago #

Andrea_r, thanks so much for this info! I'm really looking forward to 3.0.

And thanks for all your assistance over the past couple of years on the forum. It's been a HUGE help.

8. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

you're very welcome. :)

Going to any WordCamps this year?

9. moose123
    Posted 13 years ago #

Checking with my boss now about possibly going to either Portland or Chicago. Both have nice agendas (not to mention, both being in awesome cities).

You?

10. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Both Ron & I are speaking in Chicago. :) I'll be doing the session on enabling the network in 3.0 & domain mapping each site. Ron will talk about building BuddyPress child themes.

11. moose123
    Posted 13 years ago #

Great. Maybe see you there!

About this Topic

• Started 13 years ago by moose123
  • Latest reply from moose123