The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Add fields to wp_users (10 posts)

1. modifiedcontent
    Posted 17 years ago #

If I add fields to wp_users in the database, how can I add the necessary input fields into the registration process?

For example:

user_location
    user_image
    user_interests
    user_resume
    user_phonenumber

etc.

I've looked at wp-signup.php and wp-register.php, but can't figure it out. Has anyone else done this? Or would it mess up the system?

2. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I would have guessed someone would have done an extra fields plugin by now for regular WordPress.

3. modifiedcontent
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've found these plugins:

usermeta
    userextra

These apparently use a seperate usermeta table. I'm looking for a solution that keeps all the user data logically in one place.

This plugin looks very promising:
    WP-Members

There are already plugins that extend the existing WordPress users table to add user customizable fields like address info, etc. There are plugins to expand on the restriction of posts to members only. ... Unfortunately, none of these fit the bill for a client application that had come up, so I had to develop one from scratch. What was left over from that is being released as a plugin.

I'd like to know which plugins he's talking about.

Going to try out WP-Members now...

4. mrjcleaver
    Posted 16 years ago #

5. WPITn2shape
    Posted 16 years ago #

Cimy doesn't work in MU for the sub-blogs (at least with sub-domains).

I'm now on the hunt. Again.

6. WPITn2shape
    Posted 16 years ago #

I know it's been done on chickspeak.com, but I think the plugin is private.

However the odd thing is I don't know how the extra fields in the profile is displayed on the site, like I don't see a profile page.

I'm lucky enough to have been able to sign up. (It's restricted to female college students with college e-mail addresses.)

7. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Maybe a good idea would be to work with the Cimy plugin, figure out why it's not working (Do note that you don't mention in your post why it's not working or where the issue is.) and modify the code.

8. mrjcleaver
    Posted 16 years ago #

Cimy works for me. I'll document on Codex.

9. mrjcleaver
    Posted 16 years ago #

10. Mattz
    Posted 16 years ago #

The MU version above will not work anymore after the 1.0.1 version... there has been changed a lot in the plugin.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by modifiedcontent
  • Latest reply from Mattz