The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Redirect loop caused by migrated MU with latent user name issues (5 posts)

1. malcs_64
    Posted 13 years ago #

I migrated my fresh install of MU 2.9.2 from one host to another a month ago and had a different username at my previous host than I do at my new host but this wasn't a problem until WP Super Cache was configured and suddenly I got the dreaded redirect loop. According to my host I need to make sure that _all_ references to my old user are completely scrubbed from the software. Anywhere it appears, it needs to be changed to the new username.

I've gone into the database's phpMyAdmin and tried to run a search for the previous username but it pulls up nothing.

I've never mucked around in phpMyAdmin but time is of the essence etc etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. dgilmour
    Posted 13 years ago #

Maybe try doing a database backup (MySQL dump) to a text file and search that?

3. malcs_64
    Posted 13 years ago #

My ISP is basically saying that an MU can't be migrated without the code ending up being a mess so I might as well just start over from scratch and lose months of work and have to do all those months of work all over again. Which is kind of like saying "just reinstall Windows."

4. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

My ISP is basically saying that an MU can't be migrated without the code ending up being a mess

Huh? Well that was dumb of them. Your ISP is wrong.

MU doesn't store webspace usernames anywhere, just domain names. It only stores values of anything in the database (aside from wp-config.php), nothing in the software itself.

Plugins might though, especially in config files.

unless you hacked the core, you can completely replace all wpmu files with fresh ones. this is also how you upgrade.

really, the only issues I can see is you're getting a redirect loop when installing a caching plugin.

5. malcs_64
    Posted 13 years ago #

Thanks Andrea_r. So how do I get rid of it? Nothing I've tried works.

About this Topic

• Started 13 years ago by malcs_64
  • Latest reply from malcs_64