The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Rotating posts from various blogs on home page (7 posts)

1. JasperLawrence
    Posted 13 years ago #

Hi,
    I have searched high and low for a plug in or theme which would allow me to automatically rotate the most recent blogs of our various users, we are running WPMU, on our site home page. Ideally the solution would not require me to select which posts to promote to the home page and would allow opt-out by any of our users who did not want to participate.

I have found plenty that allow the rotation of images, plug ins, but have not been able to find anything that would allow the automatic display of blogs by our various users on the site home page automatically.

Any advice, whether theme, plug-in, or custom code, would be very greatly appreciated.

Also, I apologise if this question has been addressed elsewhere, but I can see to means of searching the forums. No doubt I am missing something due to inexperience here, so I apologise in advance.

Thanks in advance, also.

Jasper Lawrence

2. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

, I apologise if this question has been addressed elsewhere, but I can see to means of searching the forums.

in the header of this page, to the right, is a search box.

I have searched high and low for a plug in or theme which would allow me to automatically rotate the most recent blogs of our various users,

By the title of your thread, you really mean posts. Blogs are the whole blog, not just one post.

You are not going to find one plugin that does exactly what you want. you'll have to edit whatever you do find, or get someone to make it for you.

Here's a plugin where you can pick & choose which posts show up:
    http://wpmututorials.com/plugins/featured-posts-plugin-and-widget/

Getting them to rotate requires another plugin. Using the right terms helps, because you're not looking for a "rotate blogs" plugin, you;re looking for a "rotate posts" plugin. if you mean by using the features images from each post, I can suggest the dynamic content gallery.

3. JasperLawrence
    Posted 13 years ago #

Thank you for being so gracious in replying to what I now realise was a fairly stupid question. That is, I should have at the very least mastered the vocabulary associated with WPMU before posting here.

As to not seeing the Search field, doh! Ouch. OMG, etc.

Thanks very much for your forbearance and patience, you are a gentleman.

Thank you also for your practical suggestions, they are also greatly appreciated.

Jasper

4. gazouteast
    Posted 13 years ago #

Andrea is a gentleLADY not a gentleman - LOL

also, research in the codex, particularly the function tags for -
    - get_last_updated
    - get_last_post

you can set for all blogs and list only the last post then sort by date order (descending) to show only the most recent posts up to quantity X to fit your homepage space.

You don't need a plugin for this, it's a core function already

Gaz

5. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Those work on a blog by blog basis. :) I took his question to mean he was pulling *all* posts across the blogs.

6. gazouteast
    Posted 13 years ago #

Nope - his first sentence said it clearly -

"which would allow me to automatically rotate the most recent blogs of our various users"

Now as to whether he literally means the most recent blog signed-up and created, or the most recent blog-posts added to existing blogs, is a little ambiguous due to terminology ... but he deffo did not say "all posts".

:-p

7. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

LOL.

:D

About this Topic

• Started 13 years ago by JasperLawrence
  • Latest reply from andrea_r