The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

can wordpress MU do this ? (8 posts)

1. anarchoi
    Posted 13 years ago #

i want to start a blog platform and offer the possibility to create their own blogs to my users..

i want something like blogspot.com where the users can register an account and set up your own blog in minutes

i'm not sure if wordpress mu can do this... i looked onto the demo websites but i couldnt find a link to register and start my own blog...

so is it possible to use wordpress MU to make a blog platform where the visitors can register and start their own blogs?

thanks

2. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Are you familiar with wordpress.com?

That's what wpmu does.

3. anarchoi
    Posted 13 years ago #

on wordpress.com the users can register and start their own blogs

will i be able to give this service to my users ? or will i have to manually create each blogs

i want something automated, the users can register and start their own blogs without having to ask the admin to create a blog for them

is it possible with wordpress MU ?

4. jameslaws
    Posted 13 years ago #

Yes, that is possible. There is a setting to allow or disallow registration of new blogs within a network.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

on wordpress.com the users can register and start their own blogs

will i be able to give this service to my users ?

You get the exact same signup page. The way you install mu and how you set up the server, does this for you.

How mu works:
    http://wpmututorials.com/basics/mu-is-virtually-yours/

6. cwallace
    Posted 13 years ago #

I had this same question as well. I am, however, rolling out 3.0 and skipping past 2.x series of WP.

Where are these options in 3.0?

I have created a user by clicking 'register', but that only makes a user to access my primary blog install. Not seeing anything in the user dashboard to start their own subdomained blog.

Thanks in advance for some insight...

I am also new to WP and I am trying to get used to the forums here...as I am a phpBB guy...I apologize if I am posting incorrectly or in the wrong place...:)

Chris

7. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Did you enable the network first?

http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network

They can;t sign up for a blog if you're not running a network.

8. cwallace
    Posted 13 years ago #

I was doing more digging last night and found a few step by step setup tutorials and ran across this one as well.

When I did it I never got the 'network' tab to show up.

I am getting ready to dump the entire install and do a fresh install on the server...as I work out details and discuss options with people for input I will get to a refined and solid final install...

Now that I am aware of this I will do it right away and see if it works right out of the box.

Thanks for the insight. I am now working on finding a solution to the e-mail failure. Following another thread for that solution.

About this Topic

• Started 13 years ago by anarchoi
  • Latest reply from cwallace