The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

problems with setup on media temple's grid-server, with subdomains (9 posts)

1. tray
    Posted 13 years ago #

first, a disclaimer: i'm not overly tech-y. i'm a designer/front end developer, who can fumble through hacking other's code, but not much else. most of this stuff is over my head. please speak in lamen's terms.

second: i did search the forums and teh google, as well as contacted media temple's tech support, with no avail. and again, most answers seemed like jargon to me.. (see point #1)

hosting/setup details:
    WordPress MU 2.9.2 installed on (mt)'s grid service.
    on the website: http://fairwyn.com.s72729.gridserver.com

issue:
    everything seems to be working, but i don't think it was setup correctly, because anytime i try to add a new blog (example: http://development.fairwyn.com.s72729.gridserver.com ) i get nothing.

when i contacted the media temple support, they replied:

Unfortunately, I can't really troubleshoot why WordPress MU is not functioning as that falls outside of our scope of support. I can tell you that wildcard DNS record (*.domain.tld) available by default on (mt) Media Temple and that is not the issue in this case anyway.

so
    1) does anyone have an idea why when i try to add a new "blog" as a subdomain this is not working?
    2) would wordpress 3.0 beta be a better option for me to try? or am i going to run into the same thing

thanks much!

2. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

You'll run in to the same thing with 3.0, because it works the exact same way.

I can tell you that wildcard DNS record (*.domain.tld) available by default on (mt) Media Temple and that is not the issue in this case anyway.

Oh tech support, this is how the subdomain blogs work.

tray, did you go to the DNS records for your MU domain and add a wildcard subdomain record to them too?

3. tray
    Posted 13 years ago #

um.. no. how would i do that?

i've been reading this ( http://ma.tt/2003/10/wildcard-dns-and-sub-domains/ ) over and over and over and over again.. and it just makes my head hurt.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Where'd you buy your domain from?

5. tray
    Posted 13 years ago #

good question. we actually don't have the domain name pointing to the website yet, since it's not ready (this is a client that has a live site, and we're working on putting the new site together on a new server, then will be redirecting the domain after it's complete)

so will this issue just be solved when the domain name is pointing there?

6. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Yes.

becasue where the domain is, you have DNS records there too. you need a wildcard record there as well.

you're making it a lot harder on yourself to dev without a domain name. :)

7. tray
    Posted 13 years ago #

hmm.. and there is no way to modify this client site "in the background" if i switch the domain over now (and they haven't given us content. of course.)

alright. how about this:
    in my research i was seeing that the blogs could be directory based instead of subdomain based. while this is not ideal by any means, if this is the only way to modify the site before switching the domain, they'll just have to suck it up.

so is there an easy way to switch the "subdomain" vs. "directory" settings? and can i switch it back when the site is live (and domain name pointing to the site) later on?

8. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Define easy. :)

While yes, you can do this, it also involves going through every.single. blog manually and changing their addresses in the db as well.

look in the config file, the VHOST=yes is what makes it subdomains.

9. tray
    Posted 13 years ago #

ok. that's not too bad. they will only have three blogs total. i think i'll do this for the time being. thanks so much for your help andrea! you've saved me from completely pulling my hair out of my head! :)

About this Topic