The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

MU Admin suddenly shows 0 posts, 0 comments (5 posts)

1. gvix
    Posted 13 years ago #

Hi there,

Something really weird has happened to the backend of our WPMU installation.

When logged in to the admin section, it is as if I have logged into a new MU installation. There should actually be over 20000 posts, 1000's of comments and so on, but all I (and the other authors) see is 0 posts, 0 comments, 0 categories, 0 tags and so on. Clicking on to go to the posts page shows 0 posts.

The only other thing is that the Incoming links shows: RSS Error: file_get_contents could not read the file.

I have checked the database, and all posts are there.

At the top of the page, I get the message: Thank you for Upgrading! Please visit the Upgrade Site page to update all your blogs.

Clicking on the upgrade site also doesn't do anything, after clicking on upgrade all.

Even though we have not upgraded as we are using the latest 2.9.2.

This seems to have happened at the stroke of midnight of 31st May to 1st June.

Any help appreciated.

Vikram

2. gvix
    Posted 13 years ago #

A restart of the MySQL server seems to have fixed this issue.

The curious thing was that the site was behaving normally. The admin site was broken and showed no posts, comments, categories, users etc.

On examination of the log file, there were errors about the MYSQL server having gone away. I don't understand how this was possible as the main site was working normally?

Any pointers to understand this would be appreciated.

One clue may be severe unexplained, random spikes on the server in the last few days. Brought the server to its knees before petering off. Might be related to this: http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic/14308

Vikram

3. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Could me a plugin gone awry.
    Could be a server OS issue.
    Could be a bunch of spammers pounding your server at once.

I had looked up "MYSQL server having gone away" before in Google and there were all kidns of solutions.

4. gvix
    Posted 13 years ago #

Thanks Andrea. Yes, it was very weird. Especially since it came at the stroke of midnight..between 31st May and 1st June.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Then find out what scripts your host runs at midnight. ;)

About this Topic