The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

merging regular wordpress blogs into a mu installation (5 posts)

1. Sushubh
    Posted 13 years ago #

i currently have a site where i am running eight different blogs in subdomain and a primary blog on the main domain.

this setting has been working fine for me for years now.

i am considering merging the nine blogs into a wordpress mu installation.

there are a couple of issues. i am not sure how to merge a standalone blog into a MU blog.

i cannot simply export the blog content using the wpbackup format because the blogs are pretty big and the server would simply not able to export and import the xml files.

what i wanted to know is...

i setup the MU blog. create a new blog. it would create the required entries into the database.

can i import the standalone blog database into this MU blog database and just change the names of the tables of the imported blog to match the names of the blog created by MU?

2. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

3. Sushubh
    Posted 13 years ago #

ok i landed on that page through google search. that post was written in 2008. a lot has changed. especially the merger of wordpress and wordpress mu.

the blog i am going to play around with is on the wordpress 3.0 rc1. i know big mistake.

the question is... do i follow the details given on that blog post? or something has changed in the last 2 years?

thanks!

4. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Well, the tables really haven't changed. ;)

So... follow that post. If you DO find something is now labeled differently, you'll figure it out. ;)

Even with the merge, the only difference is the main blog on 3.0 will not have wp_1_X . That's fine, leave it if it's the MAIN blog in your new network.

5. Sushubh
    Posted 13 years ago #

cool thanks. i did play around importing a small blog on an existing MU installation. it seemed to work fine. if the blog paths are going to remain same, i guess i do not need to find and replace anything except the table names.

About this Topic