The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Category renamed while saving (9 posts)

1. exoticbuddha
    Posted 13 years ago #

I use wordpress mu 2.9.2 for my travel website http://exoticbuddha.com and have several sub domains. While adding new categories, I encounter a problem that the category that I put is renamed while saving. For eg. if I add the 'travel nepal' in the category and save it, the category saved will be a random word like 'rafting nepal'. To make matters even more complex, this problem exists in the main domain only and not in sub domains.

Has anyone encountered this problem or does any one know any solution to this issue.

2. AntaresMHD
    Posted 13 years ago #

Oh yeah, I've been having that exact problem too, I was going to post a thread about it. It started happening around a week ago or something, and my error log is full of stuff like this:

WordPress database error Duplicate entry '2496' for key 1 for query UPDATE wp_2_terms SET term_id = 2496 WHERE term_id = 4275595 made by wp_insert_category, wp_insert_term, apply_filters, call_user_func_array, global_terms

WordPress database error Lost connection to MySQL server during query for query SELECT t.*, tt.* FROM wp_2_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_2_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_2_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('post_tag') AND tr.object_id IN (12598) ORDER BY t.name ASC made by require, require_once, include, get_header, locate_template, load_template, require_once, get_sidebar, locate_template, load_template, require_once, dynamic_sidebar, call_user_func_array, rp_widget, rp_getstring_related_posts, rp_get_related_posts, wp_get_post_tags, wp_get_post_terms, wp_get_object_terms

And also plenty of query errors like this

WordPress database error MySQL server has gone away for query SELECT option_value FROM wp_2_options WHERE option_name (...)

Related to several plugins I have. I deactivated them all just to see if one of them was causing the problem, but I still had that issue with the categories. Something must've affected these tables in particular since it's affecting only one of the blogs, the rest seem to be fine.

I read in another thread that it might be related to Simple Tags, and I was indeed using it for a while (not sure when I stopped using it), but it was deactivated a few weeks ago (Still is), so I have no clue, really.

3. AntaresMHD
    Posted 13 years ago #

Ah, to further elaborate on this issue, which may be completely related to Simple Tags:

I'm using Role Manager in my site, and I noticed one of the available permissions is "Simple Tags", yet I've already deactivated it. I have no idea why is still doing things if it's supposedly off, but I'm pretty sure it's causing mischief. The version of WPMU I'm using right now is 2.9.1, since I haven't updated it in this site yet (I have to make some changes first).

4. AntaresMHD
    Posted 13 years ago #

So... No suggestions or anything?
    One of the things I did recently was trying the Global Terms section, located at http://domain.tld/wp-admin/wpmu-terms.php (which I found by exploring the site and I didn't even know what its purpose was). When I tried to repair it, not only the script timed out returning me the .php file for downloading, but the categories were even more messed up than before, all the indexes were lost. Fortunately I had a backup (which I did before changing anything else, just to avoid problems) so I could restore the three tables (wp_*_terms, wp_*_term_relationships and wp_*_term_taxonomy) at the state they were.
    I'm not sure what else I should do, there's just too many categories and it's an active site, so it's not like I can keep it down for a week to see what could be the problem.

The problem I see is that every new category takes the name of a previously created tag (one of the many thousands existing on the site), instead of using the name I've provided. I don't know if it's an index problem because I dropped these three tables and reinserted them, so I don't know.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

If you search the forums you'll see that other people had the same issue occasionally. I *think* it was addressed in the last version.

6. AntaresMHD
    Posted 13 years ago #

I searched the forums almost a week ago looking for something related and yes, I saw plenty of threads related to the subject, but none of them had a concrete solution (in fact most are just dead).
    You said something about being addressed and this might be what you mean http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/12253 which makes reference to wpmu-terms.php I mentioned, but that doesn't fix it, in fact it ruins them even further. That's why I have no idea how to deal with this.

7. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

The last version *of MU*.

8. AntaresMHD
    Posted 13 years ago #

Oh. Good! Thank you then. I'll make the necessary arrangements for the upgrade.

9. AntaresMHD
    Posted 13 years ago #

I just finished the update.

... And it worked! Suddenly all the categories work the way they should.
    Thanks for the help.

About this Topic

• Started 13 years ago by exoticbuddha
  • Latest reply from AntaresMHD