The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

wordpress-mu 3.0 blogs.dir empty (8 posts)

1. tarzan_055
    Posted 13 years ago #

HI
    i just installed the new wordpress and it is working fine, great and fast but i have only one problem with creating new sites "blogs". i already created the blogs.dir folder inside the content directory but when creating new blog or user it does not create anything inside the blogs.dir folder and on log in it show me the resource could not be found. i changed the rights on the content folder to allow EVERYONE to read write create modify "full rights" but it does not help.
    any help will be appriciated.
    regards

2. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

The blogs are virtual, you will never find a hint of them via ftp.

The blogs.dir folder is not where the blogs live - it is only for *uploads* to those blogs, like pictures.

What format did you pick when you enabled the network? Subdomains or subfolders?

If subdomains, you need to set up wildcards. Please ask your web host if they support that.

3. tarzan_055
    Posted 13 years ago #

Hi andrea
    first i have full access to the server as i sat up the server so i am not using ftp i just browes to the blogs.dir and check.
    second i already tried to upload something but nothing appeard in the blogs.dir
    third it is a subfolders
    i already have a running wordpress mu 2.92 without any problems but the problems are only with the 3.0 that u just sat up on another server.
    when i create a new user everything is created and i can see everything on the administration panal "user, site" but when i want to log in with the user created i get exactly this
    404 file or directory not found
    The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

first i have full access to the server as i sat up the server so i am not using ftp i just browes to the blogs.dir and check.
    second i already tried to upload something but nothing appeard in the blogs.dir

Did you upload to the main site or a sub site? Did you get an error message when you did so? Did you see the uploaded media in the image library?

when i create a new user everything is created and i can see everything on the administration panal "user, site" but when i want to log in with the user created i get exactly this
    404 file or directory not found

So the frontend works bu tthe backend doesn;t? Do the permalinks on the sub-site work?

Do you have this in apache?
    AllowOverride FileInfo Options

5. tarzan_055
    Posted 13 years ago #

Hi again
    i uploaded the media to the main site and it did appear in the imgage lib.
    the subsite does exist on the sites menu but i cant get to them as i get the error mensioned above.
    exactly as u said the frontend works but not the backend and i always doubted the permalinks but how to check this part??
    am running it on IIS with 2008 server.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

am running it on IIS with 2008 server.

Please put this info in your very first post.

blogs.dir is only for media, and your post title & the rest seems to lead to problems uploading media. Your actual problem is you can;t see new subfolder blogs on IIS.

a completely different issue.

you need the mod_rewrite module for IIS. Ask your webhost if they have it installed.

7. tarzan_055
    Posted 13 years ago #

Hi Andrea
    Now i have tested every solution on the net to fix the mod_rewrite module on IIS but nothing seems working. Please can you direct me on the right direction. I AM THE HOST OF THE WEBSERVER.
    note that the main blog is working with the permalinks but not for the new users.

8. tarzan_055
    Posted 13 years ago #

hi again
    i just want to say forget my last post as i installed server 2003 with iis6 and the isapi rewrite module and everything is working now. i gave up on iis7 and server 2008. thanx alot for your time.

About this Topic

• Started 13 years ago by tarzan_055
  • Latest reply from tarzan_055