The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

post by email? (37 posts)

1. matrixmonkey
    Posted 17 years ago #

Has any one had any joy with the post by email option hidden away some where.
    im off on a 31day tour of europe soon and id love to be able to email from my treo blog posts with photo (if poss) on wpmu
    rather then install a wordpress stand alone

thanks in advance

Richard

2. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hmmm, the code is removed completely out of wp-admin/options-writing.php.

Hmmm....

Gone to test. :)

3. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Worked for me. :)

Didn't try the photo though.

Hmmm, now what to do with this feature.

- Set up the mail account in wp-admin/wpmu-blogs.php. Ignore the error. The settings will save before the error occurs. You will need to create a special email account on your box though. That's what you use for the mail account within wpmu-blogs.php. You need to fill out Mailserver Url, Mailserver Login, Mailserver Pass and Mailserver Port.

- Send an email to the account.

- I don't know if wp-cron.php will pull this but I just went ahead and visited http://myblog.mydomain.tld/wp-mail.php and it went through fine.

I guess I can make this into a paid option since the admin would have control over the mail settings.

Hmmm.....

Testing now to see if wp-cron will pull it or if we need to add in the mail option for it.

4. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

How often does wp-cron.php run for each blog anyway? I see that it's pulling a setting out of the options table but mine is set to 'a:0:{}'.

5. matrixmonkey
    Posted 17 years ago #

*slaps head* you know i never thought to test it even thou i got that nasty error
    hmmm off to try photo now

6. matrixmonkey
    Posted 17 years ago #

ok it does work :#) to my suprise! and the photos don't :(

7. matrixmonkey
    Posted 17 years ago #

I think your right about it been a paid option. i can see that been abused by spammers

does wp-cron.php run for all blogs or just 1. oh questions questions

8. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

wp-cron runs for all blogs but it appears to only run once a day. Or at least that's what shows up in my logs.

Looks like you just can't run a general request for the page. (ie mydomain.tld/wp-mail.php) You have to run it specifically for myblog.mydomain.tld/wp-mail.php.

Hourly crons maybe to poll that page only for those clients who want the service?

9. jeanvallery
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have a plugin for mu created for me and Dan Ray was the programmer and installer. It doesn't accept pictures. The site is for bicycle riders who take touring trips and can send email posts to their blog
    http://www.bicyclejournals.net

10. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Do you have the plugin run automatically in some way? Sounds like the same thing we have in WPMu currently.

11. matrixmonkey
    Posted 17 years ago #

can't we call wp-cron.php ? to make it run

12. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I don't think we can call wp-cron.php directly. I know when it runs for each blog, it shows up in our stats page. I just tried a coupel of times and didn't see it.

13. matrixmonkey
    Posted 17 years ago #

with my host i can just call the myblog.mydomain.tld/wp-mail.php. but i would only beable to do it hourly :(

we could do with a way that when the blog is called to be displayed
    it checks the wp-mail.php
    unless it has already been called in last XX min

*will be on irc #wpmu if any body want's to discuss ideas for this*

14. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm working on the trac tonight.

15. solden
    Posted 17 years ago #

Being curious en trying to be patient... but us there any progress on this one yet? (couldn't find it in the trac)

16. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

It works. See post #3. You just have to set up a manual cron for each user. Say every 15 minutes and poll the wp-mail.php for that user's blog.

17. matrixmonkey
    Posted 17 years ago #

i would recomend if you give the an email address for use with blog e.g
    they sign up for post by email

there blog name = myblog.domain.com
    dont' give the email myblog@domain.com

too easy to work out and the spammers out ther would love you for it

18. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

There already is a default site password. the rpc_magic one.

wp-mail should be set up to use this password and it should be made obvious to the user.

wp-cron has a hook for every 15 mins. Use that.

19. Bike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Not sure what the status is, but is there any way this will work in current 1.2.3 version?

> Set up the mail account in wp-admin/wpmu-blogs.php

This is no longer there as far as I can see.
    It would be great if posts can be made through email, even if it just texts.
    Cheers

20. hawaiian
    Posted 16 years ago #

Anyone have "post-by-email" working? Would love to be able to offer this functionality...

Thanks!

21. mastermind
    Posted 16 years ago #

As a matter of coincidence, a customer of mine requested this feature, and I'm going to code it unless there is a satisfying solution working with WPMU:

Satisfying solution is for me:
    - Each blog owner can post to his blog
    - Secure against spam and "cross-posting"
    - Images and all the other features that the normal WP's implementation offers.

If anybody knows of such a solution, I'd love to hear about it.

If the WPMU devs and geeks say that there is nothing like that, I'll code it (as plugin) and -- if my customer is ok with it, which I'm sure of -- will make it available.

22. byjournal
    Posted 16 years ago #

it is veeeeeery interesting ))) i wait news about it :)

23. dbcohen
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm gonna bump this, doesn't seem like anyone has come up with a solution for it yet. Was just trying to get this working by merging code from WP but so far unsuccessful.

24. jackiedobson
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm gonna bump this, doesn't seem like anyone has come up with a solution for it yet.

I see one up there. If you're having problems, you may want to state specifically what specific issue you're having. I think the readme file as well as the debugging script linked to from it says something about doing that as well as providing specific details.

25. SteveAtty
    Posted 16 years ago #

Livejournal uses a combo of your login-id and a 4 digit pin (which can embedded in several places) and a cross check against your confirmed email address to allow email posting to blogs.

So if my login_id was steve_a and my registered email address was steve@somesilly domain and my PIN was 1966 then sending email to steve_a+1966@post.livejournal com would result in a post with the subject of my email message and the body of the email as the post assuming that the crosscheck between sender address/post address and PIN was successful

I suspect they use some sort of cron based activity as it will post to a blog without it apparently being visited.

The idea of the server going out and polling potentially hundreds of POP3 accounts which is what the WP plugin above does seems rather scary!!

so if you had a virtual domain set up in postfix with a catchall account and then processed the inbox....

Does that sound sensible? I might try coding that when I'm off sick ;)

26. keithalmli
    Posted 16 years ago #

Why cant you change the default e-mail category?

27. oregondean
    Posted 15 years ago #

WPMU v1.5.1 - I've searched the forums for updated post by email instructions and I admit I'm stumped. Several thread point back to this one where drmike says

"Set up the mail account in wp-admin/wpmu-blogs.php. ... That's what you use for the mail account within wpmu-blogs.php. You need to fill out Mailserver Url, Mailserver Login, Mailserver Pass and Mailserver Port."

I don't see a place to enter the email information in wpmu-blogs.php for one account much less for each user.

The only other thing I found was here:
    http://www.danray.net/blogbymailmu/
    and this plugin will not activate - perhaps a v1.5.1 issue.

Your help is appreciated.
    Dean

28. oregondean
    Posted 15 years ago #

I guess I should add the obvious question - why does post by mail work on WP and not in WPMU?

Is the issue polling too many POP3 accounts? This should be something a site admin decides as to the level of burden he wants to put on the mail server. That certainly is a lot easier than building a full SMTP/POP3 server into WPMU I would think.

And I am further confuse dby the fact that wordpress.com runs WPMU - how do they do it over there.

I will have les than 100 blogs so my load will be light.

29. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

You have to select a blog to edit from the admin page, which is where the settings are.

One reason, presumably, that it's turned off is because a lot of people just (try to) install MU and let it go. From there, the potential exists for a lot of trouble from it all.

30. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

And I am further confuse dby the fact that wordpress.com runs WPMU - how do they do it over there.

They don't.

I don't have time to check tonight but I see fields labeled for mailserver when I edit a blog at wpmu-blogs.php. You may want to check again.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by matrixmonkey
  • Latest reply from josswinn