The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Need hacks for a School WPMU (6 posts)

1. nexia
    Posted 17 years ago #

i'm building a MU for my kids' school this week, and i'll need some additional features to be global. so if someone can help coding them or have the solution at hand, please feel free to provide... ;)

1- instant posting page, a minimal posting page that is provided for all members of blog X, so they don't have to visit the admin section to post a new post. the only details requested for this page would be the post title, content and category.

2- restrict plugins to main admin of the WPMU... i don't want the teachers or kids to play with them... having a global activation so all the blogs have the same plugins would be great.

3- html tags for ranks... so the teachers are tagged with a specific icon or color...

4- profile page for each member... so when we click on a member username, we are redirected to its profile, and that member can create a post that contain its user infos, like Class, Level, some picts, etc... not like MySpace, just a text like the usual posts, but for the profile... so that content is not listed in the categories...

that'S it.. :)

2. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

1) Kind of defeats the security features within WPMU if you use that method.

2) That's what the mu-plugins subdirectory is for. Any plugin in there works for everybody.

3) That would probably require rewriting a large portion of the code. Best bet to get around that I would think is just make sure they add in mr or mrs to their user names.

4) Profile pages are pretty much theme dependant. At least the ones I've seen.

3. nexia
    Posted 17 years ago #

maybe the mu-plugins is the best place to set the plugins, but actually, most of the plugins i've tested are not working in that directory... i may simply give no admin access to nobody, just me.. :)

for the profiles page, i may add my own system so members will have a specific place... i hate to code... lol.. damn, why did i start this project.. LOL

4. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

most of the plugins i've tested are not working in that directory

Which ones?

There a large number of threads here on specific plugins on how to fix them and walkthroughs are planned for the trac wiki on them.

5. dsader
    Posted 17 years ago #

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/blogs_forums/wordpressdash.html

Download and install/configure on multiple macs in the lab.

6. nexia
    Posted 17 years ago #

thanks dsader, i knew about this dashboard, i have it on my production site, but i did not think of it as a solution for the kids, as they are not using Macs at school (one rare school to have PCs!)

btw, i need to create a real place for the kids on the web...

About this Topic