The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

wpmu and phpbb? (9 posts)

1. Prophecy
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hallo.

I new to this forum and wpmu. So I am hoping that I am posting this the right place.

I have done a search at the forum but I did not find what I was looking for. So here it goes...

Right now I am building a community site. And I am going to use phpbb as the forum software. What I like to know is this.

1: From what I have seen, there is two ways you can make a account at a wpmu site. a) make user and blog and b) make only an user. If a user choose b, is it the possible for the user to create a blog after he has made his account?
    2: If the the answer to 2 is yes! Is it then possible to make it so that when a user creates an account at the phpbb that it at the same time creates a account in wpmu but without a blog (only user)?
    3: Is it possible to make it so that phpbb and wpmu shares sessions?

Why do I want this? I like to give my users the options to create a blog for themself. But without having 100s of unused blogs. When they creates an account at the phpbb there will also be created an account at the wpmu (only account, not the blog itself). If the user wants a blog, then all he or she has to do is to "Click a botton" saying something like "I want a blog".

I really hope that someone can help me with this...

Cheers
    Prophecy

2. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

If a user choose b, is it the possible for the user to create a blog after he has made his account?

Yes. They can claim a blog at any time. They might not be able to claim the blog associated with their username if it's already been taken but they can still claim another.

Is it then possible to make it so that when a user creates an account at the phpbb that it at the same time creates a account in wpmu but without a blog (only user)?

Yes. Best bet would be to add in code to phpbb directly that, after it places the user's account information into phpBB's database, you do the same thing with the same information into WPMU's database. You just don't assign any blogs to the account though.

Ain't touching the shared sessions one though. You might be able to. You may want to search over at wordpress.org and see if it's been discussed there. I would think it would be the same setup.

Hope this helps,
    -drmike

3. Prophecy
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks alot drmike for the fast answer.

I just realized that I am going to have somne problems with the password. Since wpmu creates a password for the user and in phpbb the user can create the password. Is there a way to let users create their own passwords in wpmu.

If so...

I could "remove" the create user in wpmu and then "just" edit the phpbb files so they add the username etc. in the wpmu database...hmmm it should be possible. I guess that it ain't possible for wpmu and phpbb to share userdatabase.

EDIT:

After a little search I found this...

http://www.phpclasses.org/browse/package/1532.html
    http://www.happypoet.com/hackery/wphpbb-login/

Is possible to use these with wpmu?

Once again thanks for your reply drmike.

Cheers
    Prophecy

4. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

"Is there a way to let users create their own passwords in wpmu."

Once they get their initial password, they can chage it to whatever they like through their profile page. Dunno if that helps though.

Might be possible to use those with MU - we're forging new ground here, so you're probably going to have to figure it out for yourself. :)

5. blogga
    Posted 17 years ago #

prophecy did you ever integrate phpbb & wpmu?

6. willdayble
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've used phpBBlogin with a NORMAL WordPress install (http://www.happypoet.com/hackery/wphpbb-login), and it works wonderfully, I'll be trying it out with MU soon, we'll see what happens... :/

7. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Not exactly phpBB, but vanilla integrates with WP. It's on my (ever increasing) list of things to play with concerning MU, even though I've already decided (and installed) bbPress.

8. andrisi
    Posted 16 years ago #

Prophecy's 3rd question - auto-login, sharing a session with another program - that is the most interesting I think. Anyone (Prophecy?) found a sulution for that. I'm in the process of doing that too...

9. greatbig47
    Posted 16 years ago #

Anyone have a solution for Marrying PHPbb and WPMU? I saw this post, and it's what I'm doing!

THANKS!!!

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by Prophecy
  • Latest reply from greatbig47